Sold my MJ need measurements and advice

Incommando

FIRST: I no longer have my MJ. Could someone please measure an MJ cab for me? I need from door-to-door on the inside, from firewall to rear wall on the inside, and the floor to the ceiling. I would greatly appreciate this help.

The story: I have been going through a drawn out divorce since 4/10. It comes after 7 wonderful years of marriage. Unfourtunatley we were married for 22.... :D At least I received and maintain custody of my two daughters. So, I needed more instant cash than I could lay my hands on and needed it by a deadline. I put the MJ up and it sold within in hour at my obviously too low asking price. My cash flow situation is OK, I just needed instant cash.

My choice: I have a new mild steel DOM 112" W/B tube chassis. Yes, it is a drag chassis designed for a full-body vehicle & that was built & certified to go to 8.50 in the quarter. But then the build lagged and it sat around for a decade or more until the cert. expired. It needs updates to fit the new NHRA regs. So, I picked it up for nothing. i believe that this can easily be adapted to an off-road vehicle. However, it is just a chassis: no suspension or anything.

I have a chance to pick up a '91 2wd MJ 4.0 auto. I have a complete big-joint HP30 from a '97 and a matching complete 29-spline 8.25. As AW4/231 combo's are fairly common and cheap, converting this MJ to 4wd would not be a huge undertaking. I am thinking truggy.

So, would you start from scratch with a buggy build, keeping in mind that it would probably require tow vehicle/trailer, or truggy the '91 and upgrade it as time allowed? As I have literally nothing in the chassis I could use the tubing on the truggy. The third option is to cut the cab apart on the MJ and mount it to the chassis, making an easily licensed streetable vehicle.

Please feel free to comment and/or flame away

I'll elaborate:

The '91 has almost no bed left and is not fixable. MJ's/XJ's of this era did not fair well with Ohio's liberal use of road salt unless they were well cared for: this one was not. It was wrecked where the cab and bed meet. It needs a pass. door, rocker & floor repair, and most of the rear cab corner on that side as it is pushed in maybe 6". It was then left outside for a year or so and water entered the ruptured area. The rear tailights were sold off already, as was much of the interior. This is not what anyone would consider a "saveable" truck as the investment to fix it would FAR exceed the finished value. It is, in a word, rough. Its biggest value is the running 4.0 and the title/VIN. I can buy it for what it would be sold as scrap, basically.

I'm not sure the rules in OH, but making any sort of buggy street legal really isnt that hard... the VW guys do it all the time. Look up the laws in your state for an assembled vehicle, and as long as you meet criteria, you should be able to get an assembled vehicle title for it. Oh and keep receipts in case they want to see them for vehicle assembly, they want to make sure parts arent stolen or questionable. Some places will get on you about using a VIN on an assembled vehicle that really doesnt belong there. The guys that use a shortened VW pan and a complete fiberglass body get hasseled sometimes when they are off road and get checked and have the title and registration listed as a VW beetle, when it clearly isnt that anymore. Might be different with an MJ though. Would deffinitely be a cool build. Let us know if you start a build thread!

The story: I have been going through a drawn out divorce since 4/10. It comes after 7 wonderful years of marriage. Unfourtunatley we were married for 22.... :D At least I received and maintain custody of my two daughters.

Sorry to hear that and glad you got custody.

I got no comment about the Jeep though.

this is the jeep

it is a 91 2wd short bed pioneer

hey don it still has the tail lights and the interior i was just starting to get some of it striped for when i was going to take ot to my friends place to do the body and paint work everything it still there