Release The Key-Starts, Then Won't Stay Running

I met this girl with an 88 XJ :brows:

:brows: For the girl, not the XJ. Yeah right.

I offered to trade her non-running XJ for my running Astro. :yes:

Anyways, that's another story.

So her XJ starts, but when you release the key it quits.

Oh yeah, 88 4.0 AW4.

I jumped the resistor, swapped the relays, got fuel pressure at the rail.

Don't hear the fuel pump run, because I believe the fuel rail has a full charge.

If I put the key switch over to start, hold it there, the motor will continue to run.

I think the ignition switch on the column is the culprit, anybody concur?

I had the same problem with my 89MJ. Replaced ignition switch, didnt help. Ended up bringing it to a shop that specializes in auto elec. Ended up was one of the wires between the battery and the power dist center. One of the ones that all connect to the metal thing (forget what its called).

You are talking about the switch on the column aren't you? (not the key switch itself)

Are you saying possibly a fused link between the battery and the solenoid.

Or is there a fused link between the solenoid and the PDC?

Actually, I didn't think our jeeps had fused links, do they or not?

Yes replaced the ign switch down on the column, not where you put the key in. Yes, between the battery and the solenoid. There are some fusible links there too (I think there are 3) but I'm almost positive it wasnt one of the fusible links. I'm pretty sure it was the red wire. The guy never showed me exactly which wire it was just told me what he did. I looked later and one wire had a new connector on it, the hoop kind that go over the screw on the solenoid. I will go check which color wire now. Be right back.

Just checked. There are like 10 red wires over there, but only one of them connects onto the screw on the solenoid. Thats the one that has the new end end on it so I'm almost positive thats the one he must have replaced. It runs from the solenoid into a harness so I'm not sure where it runs too.

more than likely the switch on the bottom of the column.my 88 mustang did this to me a few years ago.i had to hold the switch and drive home about 4 miles.what made it worse was it was a stick shift and i used 2nd gear to limp home.

Might try checking your B+ latch relay. And there are 2 fuseable links in the start-run circuits. I don't think they are the problem.

I eliminated all the relays by swapping one at a time with a known good one out of my MJ.

Today I am going to replace the switch with a used one out of my spare parts,

examine all the wires near or around the solenoid.

Just a thought, but if the switch on the bottom of the column is not aligned properly it will cause it to fall back into the off position or even stay stuck in the start position when you leg go of the key. Its easy to check and does not cost anything but time.

Well she didn't want to deal for her Jeep, said it was her baby.

And the Kudos go to maddzz1 for the correct help, fix, diagnosis.

I swapped the ignition switch, no joy.

Then I started examining the fused links around the solenoid. They all looked good

but looks can be deceiving, I started gently pulling on the wires with fused links and sure enough

one of then was just like a rubber band. The wire inside did it's job although it was not apparent from the outside.

Should have this one up and running on Monday, it still needs the pressure bottle replaced.

Thanks for the help guys.