Steering column update?

Background: For those who may have noticed that I've been pretty much in absentia for the past couple of months (well, also for those who didn't notice), the absence was because I was in Chile, battling the bureaucracy to complete the adoption of my wife's granddaughter. We finally made it through and got her here.

My now-daughter turned 16 today, and she's already talking about wanting to learn to drive. (This is a big deal for her -- in Chile you can't get a license until 21.) I can stall for awhile, because she has to learn English well enough to take the mandatory drivers' ed class, but sooner or later she's going to be a driver ... and then she's going to want/need wheels.

If possible, I'll try to find a decent 97+ XJ that has dual airbags. However, decent new-style XJs aren't growing on trees around here, so I'm also looking at "the fleet" and wondering what I have that might be suitable. I'm giving some consideration to either an '88 MJ 4-banger, or an '86 XJ 4-banger. But I would really like to have her behind an airbag. So ...

.. has anyone swapped a 95+ XJ steering column, with functional airbag, into an early XJ or MJ? Can it be done? It would involve dimmer wiring and windshield wiper wiring, as well as the steering column itself and swapping in an airbag control module. If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate a synopsis of what I'd be facing if I decide to go that route.

Eagle. If you haven't found anything out in a couple days let me know. I have a '97WJ and a couple MJ's and not doing much and I would be interested in knowing that myself. Jim

PS. Great on the daughter.

If for some reason the WJ won't work I also have a '98XJ. I would rather part the WJ tho than the XJ.

the '95 to '96 column can be swapped into an earlier xj or mj fairly easily...it will bolt into the upper brackets, and you only need to re-drill 1 hole on the bottom at the firewall in order to mount it.

if you have the pigtails going to the '95-96 column, you can splice that into the older dash wiring as well.

but you DO NOT need an air bag control module for a '95 or '96 column, as there are none for it. it is a pendulum style air bag...this means that there is a small weight inside of it near a glass vial, and under a certain amount of momentum, the weight breaks the vial, causing the air bag to explode.

that is the only viable option for you...a '97+ column wouldn't come close to mounting to anything older than '97, and even if it did...you would not be able to splice the air bag control module in, as it recieves and sends some signals to the ECU as well (automatic shut down, etc.).

I'd look for a '95 or '96 xj if you want to stay with jeeps more common with a cheaper price tag and more readily available.. but, unless you're willing to pay for most of her gas, you're probably better off buying her a small newer car like an '00 ford focus (great little cars!) for under 2 grand and calling it a day.

You just spared me the fun, er, trouble of tearing apart a couple jeeps. But that was nice to know. Thanks Jim

:wavey:

no problem. I figured it all out when I did the '95 update and didn't want the '95 column. ended up going with that column when I didn't feel like splicing anything...but it all seemed like it would work.

wish I'd kept my charts for what goes to what...

I'd look for a '95 or '96 xj if you want to stay with jeeps more common with a cheaper price tag and more readily available.. but, unless you're willing to pay for most of her gas, you're probably better off buying her a small newer car like an '00 ford focus (great little cars!) for under 2 grand and calling it a day.

I've thought about just buying a smaller car, but I am currently looking out the window at approximately 3 feet of snow, coated with sleet and ice. The major storm was a week ago, followed by two minor ones, and the roads all over this area are still a mess. I definitely want her to have something with full-time 4WD. That's why my first preference would be to buy a used XJ with SelecTrac. Converting an older XJ or MJ is the fall-back plan.

don't knock the small cars. I used to myself, until I found I needed a newer cheap small car to be able to see my new long distnace relationship girfriend... now wife. 11 years ago, I bought a used 3-4 year old Hyundai Accent hatchback with 36,000 miles on it for $5000. I was in Michigan at the time, and that little car would go almost anywhere in the snow. Its the best snow and ice vehicle Ive ever had next to the Grand Waggy I used to have. And it has dual fron airbags, and with 156,000 miles on it still gets 38 MPG. don't count them out, even though I know you want to. Might still be your best option.