Spring over leveling?

Jeep tech note I.S. 14E explains how to check the ride height on a Comanche. They use the chassis and suspension not the hubs and flares

Front:

------

Measure vertical distance between top of axle tube (looks like just inboard of the LCA mount) to the under side of the frame rail. For the passenger side, measure from the axle tube just outboard of the vacuum disconnect housing.

For 2WD models the distance should be 6-3/4" +/- 1/2".

For 4WD models the distance should be 7-3/4" +/- 1/2"

Rear:

------

Measure from the top of the axle tube to the underside of the frame rail inboard of the rubber bump stop.

For 2WD models the distance should be 8.2" +/- 1/2".

For 4WD models the distance should be 9.2" +/- 1/2"

mine looks to be 13.5" in the rear

mine looks to be 13.5" in the rear

So you have about a 4" lift compared to a stock 4WD MJ.

Did you meausure your front and compare that against the factory method? That would give you a better indication of what you need for springs. If your truck started out as a 4-cylinder and had a 4.0L swapped in, the 4.0L is a LOT heavier, and perhaps the person who did the swap didn't bother to swap the front coils. Which would mean your front is probably well BELOW stock height.

Ok so I am 4" over a stock 4wd but I will be ordering XJ springs that being said are Cherokees similar to 4wds or 2wds whaen they measure the spring height lift? If my 2wd is the same as a Cherokee 4" of lift won't level it,,.

Ok so I am 4" over a stock 4wd but I will be ordering XJ springs that being said are Cherokees similar to 4wds or 2wds whaen they measure the spring height lift? If my 2wd is the same as a Cherokee 4" of lift won't level it,,.

If the rear of your truck is 4 inches higher than stock, how do you figure that a 4-inch lift in the front won't level it?

Try this: Measure the height of your front end as it sits. The method is in the same post that told you how to do the rear. Or, the simple method: wheel/axle center to bottom of flare. Stock height should be 17-1/2 inches. I'm betting yours is sitting lower than that -- which would mean that a 4-inch lift based on stock height would give you more than 4 inches of lift.