a Snap!, I started hunting. Sure enough, the bar attachment to the

track bar bracket wasn't tight. On top of that, the SOB beat the thing

in and mashed the zerk fitting - it never got greased. The cotter pin

was half-a** installed. Disassembly determined the track bar bracket

hole was all warbled out, so off to the JY for a replacement. Fun job

replacing that bracket, but it's done right. I'm contemplating how I want

to return the riunt bar and bracket to the alignment shop monkey. Any

suggestions??

Other than myself, there are only three people I trust to touch my Jeeps: An old friend who is a retired AMC/Jeep service manager; my friend Erich, who also owns an MJ and is a VW shop foreman; and a friend from NAXJA who lives in PA (which means he's too far away for us to swap labor, but if he were closer I would trust him).

I don't even trust my brother. Not since the time 35 years ago when he "helped" me finish the brakes on my then-fiancee's car, and then driving it over the mountains in PA to her grandparents' house the rear brakes failed because he didn't put the push rods back in the cups properly. When the '88 XJ was new he gave me a set of fog lights for Christmas, so I let him "help" install them. He pinched the wires where they go through the grille, and a month later the lights shorted out.

As for shops? You can't trust them even if you stand there and watch them.

:wrench: I guess I'm lucky to have found a local guy (Aaron @ Certiguard ) who actually comes in under his quotes and warranties his work . He and his guys also fix the little things they find while working on my truck ( a zip tie , screw , clamp ,etc. ) that I notice sometime after the service . They have no problem if a job is better sent to another shop if thier equipment / experience can't handle it properly . :thumbsup:

You shouldn't need an alignment if the previous trackbar was set at the correct length and you got the brackets in the right spot.

I usually take it to a tire shop for an alignment, the homebrew method doesn't seem nearly accurate enough for me. Used to have a favorite tire shop up to 3 or 4 years ago. I mean they were my go to place for all tires and alignment. One day I go in to get my TJ aligned, while at it wanted them to stick a V8 ZJ tierod on. The guy doing the work called me to the bay because the tie rods were different. Yes they are, one is bigger around with adjustment in a different place. I hold it to the Jeep and explain how it mounts (very basic btw). I leave and get a call 3 hours later that it is to big. I pick up the Jeep and they try to KEEP my ZJ stuff. Rent a puller from Autozone and install it in their parking lot. Take it back to get an alignment and the guy wants to know why I need an alignment, explain that I installed the tierod in the autozone parking lot.

That was the last time I was there. My younger sister went there to get tires for her Mazda 3. The beads leak air and it has been in 4 times.

I drive 1.5 hrs to my new tire shop. Have not yet been let down and am surprised they remember my rig when I come in.

RE: "You shouldn't need an alignment if the previous track bar was set at the correct length and you got the brackets in the right spot."

The initial need for alignment had nothing to do with the track bar, which is original and fixed length, and, it was a tire shop that

I had taken it to that messed up the bar installation.

The initial need for alignment had nothing to do with the track bar, which is original and fixed length, and, it was a tire shop that

I had taken it to that messed up the bar installation.

Whoops, I must have misunderstood the post. Unfortunately the shop could claim you smashed the bracket and zerk because the work was done over a month ago. I would still take the damaged parts to the shop and demand some sort or reimbursement. Tell them the loose fitting caused DW in a school zone with kids present. I would probably skip the monkey who did the work and go straight to the manager or owner with the concern.