Engine Conversion Question

I have an 88 Pioneer Short Bed with the I6 and AW4. I am wanting to converto to a diesel engine and was wondering if anyone knows of an engine that will drop in with as little fabrication as possible. I am not looking to put a huge super duty engine in, just something diesel that will have enough power to turn 31s at highway speeds. I want to convert away from gas so i can run a vegitable oil set up. With average prices for gas over 5 bucks and massive shortages coming, i want options other than walking. any help with engine suggestions is much appretiated.

a clip from 4wheel & offroad "canadian company HPA Motorsportshas developed a conversion kit that drops a 1.9 vw turbo diesel into a yj. tj kit in the works. after tuning ecu with power flafsh, HPA claims the diesel will put out 190 hp and 289 ft lb tq and will get 40-47 mpg" in the yj they were usin the ax5. I'm sure for the right $$ or just time and fabbing it could be done in a mj. also i think extreme 4x4 on spike tv did a vw diesel swap into a sammy.

when u get ready to swap the motor out ill take your 4.0 fuel pump/sender off your hands :waving:

and after buying that kit and the swap drivetrain, and considering the real world numbers, not the inflated ad numbers to get you to buy a kit, how many miles will you have to drive to recoup your investment even if you labor is worthless?

Ask yourself this: if veggie oil was really an answer, why isn't it being done commercially? How come the largest "bio diesel" groups have taken millions of msiguided taxpayer cash and gone out of business? snake oil, IMHO.

If VW diesel swaps were such a god send, how come they don't sell more of them new?

I don't know where you are, but gas is $2.93 here. I would move if your gas "averages" $5/gal now as claimed by the present tense of your statement. That would probably be the most economical move you can make.

Don't do a diesel swap because you think it will save you money, it won't. Do it because it's cool & different. jamminz.gif

Myself & one other member on here are using the Mercedes OM617 3.0 turbo, this would be a much easier route to go since it's all mechanical. Here is the company where i got the adapter for the AX15 transmission:

http://mercedesdiesel4x4.com/default.aspx

Make sure to do lots of homework before you dive into this, it's going to be expensive & time consuming.

~Dave

I've got an OM617 on the engine stand right now awaiting the brown truck to deliver some replacement gaskets. If your current engine is in need of replacement, it appears to me the price to repower with a recovered OM617 will be in the same price range as a replacement 4.0 but will take considerable more time. If you have an AX-15, the adaptors are $340 plus shipping plus you have to fab up motor mounts and all the other accessory stuff.

The MB OM617 with life span claims of 400K to 500K appears to outlive the MB body especially in the rust belt. I found one with 125K that ended up costing me apx $50 after scrapping the MB body. I've read where others have recovered all their costs and a little more so you might do better. I pulled the oil pan and valve cover and the top end has the look of a almost new motor?

Personally, I'm not doing it to save fuel expenses as I just thought it would be a fun project. I expect the diesel to get 20-25% better economy than a 4.0 but repair parts will be more expensive as are oil changes along with fuel and oil filters. Over the course of 100k I don't think the savings would be significant if buying diesel at the pump.

Don't know much about WVO powering other than what I've read and I've read enough to know there is not a consensus on the topic. Some claim it works great and others claim its instant death for your motor? If your serious about alternative fuels, brewing your own biodiesel appears to be universally accepted as not being hazardous to your diesel engine. Might be fun to play around with alternative fuel options if the diesel repower works out good.

The last two post are excellent!

The 5 cylinder MB diesel is a good substiture in the Jeep. Lots of them around. Great reputation.

If you choose to run waste veggie oil, it has been done many times on the MB engine - not sure how well, but it has been done many times.

Still, don't expect to save any money with this or any other swap.

IMHO, the weight, torque, and rpm range requires fewer drive train adjustments than the traditional diesels (not very familiar with the VW TDI so it may have a higher RPM range like the MB). A 4BTA or Isuzu would require axle regearing and the extra weight would be a coil spring flatner and their torque levels would break the stock drive train and axles. If there was a easy way to deal with the front sump oil pan design on the OM617, then I would agree on it being a "good" substitute. Right now I view it as a "doable" substitute. After I work out the track bar and steering box mods maybe I will not think it was that bad. The steering mods are a concern to me and where to hang an a/c. The 4 cylinder MB diesels fit the MJ, XJ, and TJ better but are not turbo'ed and I don't think I would be happy with the performance level.

Anyone ever put TJ leaf springs on the front of an XJ or MJ? Would the uniframe handle it?

TJs don't have leaf springs, YJs do... Mustve hit the wrong letter :peek: as for a turbo diesel swap it time consuming and not as easy on the wallet as one may think but it could be fun and being able to say you did the work and it runs on veggie oil is just that much cooler adding onto the fact your driving a jeep with a bed comanche.gif

my first thought is vw. that also brings in the audi. a mercedes would be a great bet,and an isuzu might not be bad, but these options won't be cheap with all the stuff you're going to need. if cost is no concern, it's a great idea.

if you really want to concider this, go european. they do some cool things with little diesels across the pond. it's pretty incredible what the make work in what. there are some great european mags that cover some of these things (many available at barnes and nobles). i'm guessing oyu're in canada so you can probably get them there. sounds bad, but don't even bother with american stuff, europeans have been doing these types of mads for alot longer. they even make many of our vehicles (generic us car statement) over there IN diesel. i beleive they have even made diesel cherokee(i think it was made by another company other than jeep though) and that would be an easy swap. check stuff from over seas out.

I have seen a couple of Toyota Trucks converted to the VW 1.9 TDI engine. That works out quite well. The VW TDI engine can put out 240 lb/ft at 1900 - 2000 rpms with just a few hundred dollars for a chip upgrade and larger injection nozzles. Not to mention taking a couple hundred pounds off the truck.

I own and drive a VW TDI that puts out about 130 hp and 240 lb/ft. (Chip and injectors upgrade only). And it pulls a 3.157 final drive in my Passat. Problem is I need a clutch upgrade to handle the power. Have looked at putting a VW TDI engine in my Comanche at some point. I would use the Acme Adapter and a Toyota automatic transmission (Same as the Jeep AW4). Also would use a 1996 to 2003 VW TDI engine (not any later).

I suspect the Mercedes 5 cylinder engine can be done for less money, lots more MB's in the salvage yards than VW TDI's. Also the MB would start at 123 hp and 180 lb/ft. The 5 cylinder Sprinter diesel would be great, but EXPENSIVE!