mysterious rubbing i cant find

2 days ago i was backing up my driveway i stopped at the bottom to answer a call talked 30 seconds then let the clutch out and began to go backwards when I heard a clunk. now when i move the truck it sounds like a rubbing coming from the front passenger wheel i took the wheels off and nothing rubbing. the tranny goes in all gears fine so I am not sure its a tranny problem. any ideas?

ok so here's an update i took wheels off front calipers everything and found nothing so i went to the back......... i raised it up took it outta gear, and I'm not sure if this is normal but when i spin the wheels the drive shaft doesnt move until i spin the wheel a little faster and it stops moving before the wheel stops and both sides spin at different speeds....... could my rear end be blown???

ok so i just took the truck for a little ride it does it in reverse but not if i drift backwards in neutral. sounds like its only doin it in gear. I am afraid i may need a tranny which is ok since now i can upgrade to a 5 speed.

sounds coming from the front no i haent drained it yet it does it the whole time its moving but there is no tranny slipage like an auto ould do when it starts to go I'm thinking maybe the bang i heard was the tranny lol

could be a different noise all together but in my zj theres a rubbing/grinding noise occasionally. its the wheel hub bearing, sealed unit so i can't grease it, but its dryer than dog poop. bearings need lube or theyll be noisey and fail, and the clunk is a sign of bad u join/cv joint. drive it til it breaks, then ull know for sure what it was :yes:

hmm dunno what to tell ya then :dunno: if its coming from the front and its a 2wd wheel bearings would be my guess, but it only does it when its engaged in gear.. throwout bearing or piolot bearing???? thatd should be a fairly cheap and easy fix. kinda hard to tell without tearing into it. rarely but sumtimes you can talk to a tech at the dealership and theyll partly help diaganose it