Snow Day

whowey

12" of snow fell between last night and today.

MJ handled it quite well.

Once again confirmed that Bridgestone Dueler Revos are the best snow/combined surface tires available.

My universally hated vaccuum disco system worked almost flawlessly. It only failed to disconnect on command once. As soon as I came to a stop it disconnected though. I need to do a bit of work on it though, it made a slight bang everytime it engaged.

I'm not spending $150 on a truck I bought for $500.

Not to mention its purpose is hauling stuff, and putting around.

It may get one of the 'home-built' kits at some point, but thats SO FAR down the project list, the truck may rust into nothing before then.

I agree, manual lockouts would be my first preference. But AMC didn't design them in so we get what we got.

I've had the Duelers for 3 winters now. I got the Revos right after Sears tire started carrying them. I didn't necessarily want Revos, but that it was them, another set of Wranglers, or the Sears branded Michelins. I had never used the Revos so I wanted to try them.

i agree vacuum disconnect is kindof a blessing... i can throw a cheapo locker in the front and not have to worry about being able to turn... where-as my brother HAD to buy a selectable front locker in order to be able to turn.

but i gummed up the disconnect in the mud so it doenst work like it used to, but luckily its stuck in 4x mode not 2x mode... plannin on a cable system.

i agree vacuum disconnect is kindof a blessing... i can throw a cheapo locker in the front and not have to worry about being able to turn... where-as my brother HAD to buy a selectable front locker in order to be able to turn.

but i gummed up the disconnect in the mud so it doenst work like it used to, but luckily its stuck in 4x mode not 2x mode... plannin on a cable system.

With your '89's axle disco stuck engaged, its technically the same as newer D30's with one piece axles. Just not quite as strong.

I gotta tell you, allot of people have run a locker in the front with out any problems, myself included. As long as there is no power going to it it will be invisible. I ran a Aussie in the front of my TJ for two summers and a winter. The only times I knew it was there was IN 4WD and sometimes in 2WD you could hear the ratcheting with the doors off in corners.

Having a disco AND a locker would only eliminate most of the ratcheting. One could argue an miniscule amount of better fuel economy but even adding hubs the difference is negligible.

CW

I built my own a while back. It worked OK, not great. i picked up a used unit for CHEAP!!! i now have the posi-lock in the MJ. More so because the vacuume system was an issue, or so I thought.

After installing the Posi-loc, I found the real problem was the "motor" in the disco, it wouldn't allow the fork full travel.

Anyway, the Posi-loc works perfect everytime and also allows 4LO WO/engaging the front axle!! Very nice for launching a boat on a steep ramp, pulling stumps or having to make tight turns off road.

CW