Ford 8.8 vs XJ D44

Rated from Strongest to weakest; (in my opinion)

1. Super 8.8

2. Super 44

3. Dana 44

4. Ford 8.8

I think c-clip in the factory 8.8 is a huge drawback. But I say get whatever is cheapest!

Exactly what I was looking for.

Using a aussie locker probably. I have the option between these an I was leaning towards the Super 8.8. I have a line on both. An XJ44 or stock 8.8 for the same price...

Real numbers, not opinions:

COT: Continuous output torque rating

MOT: Maximum output torque rating

Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480

Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460

Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600

Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100

Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

Yup...8.8

I think c-clip in the factory 8.8 is a huge drawback.

based on....?

The fact that if you do break a shaft, the tire falls off.

gotta break one of them suckas first for that to matter. The 8.8 axle shaft track record is pretty darn good. :D

I think that a disc brake 8.8 would aid in axle retention should a shaft fail where a drum axle would allow the shaft to exit the housing?

But if you are using an Explorer 8.8, don't you need to factor in the cost of wheel spacers?

not with the super 88 kit. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Real numbers, not opinions:

COT: Continuous output torque rating

MOT: Maximum output torque rating

Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480

Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460

Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600

Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100

Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

Yup...8.8

RE: "5500", what are the units?

The 44 is the quintessential JEEP axle...I pondered the 8.8 but then quickly realized that a JEEP should have a DANA axle. 44 or shortened 60 are good rear options. Considering there is a bolt in 44 option I think thats an intelligent and inviting option.

I wish that that there was great upgrade bolt-in for the front. The Rubi "44" is a LP design with D30 outers. :(

The 44 is the quintessential JEEP axle...I pondered the 8.8 but then quickly realized that a JEEP should have a DANA axle. 44 or shortened 60 are good rear options. Considering there is a bolt in 44 option I think thats an intelligent and inviting option.

Not knocking the 44, but the question was which is strongest...

I wish that that there was great upgrade bolt-in for the front. The Rubi "44" is a LP design with D30 outers. :(

Dana 30 with a 31 spline locker and using 44 shafts and 44 inner/outer C's, bearings, lockouts. I know a dude who did this, and it came out GREAT!

Not knocking the 44, but the question was which is strongest...

Good point. I wouldn't say "don't get an 8.8" but I would say "try and find a 44."

Sometimes in the "strongest" argument we have to sit back and ask whether we need all that strength.