Front Tow Points

I had time over Thanksgiving break and decided to throw some tow points on the front of the MJ. I did something similar to what I did on the XJ I owned and they pulled me out many times. For some of you out there these might come across as sufficient enough to be ripped on and yanked all over the place, but for me and the places I go for now they are more than sufficient. I usually have good friends to latch onto, if not my Dad. We take it easy on each others rides...

Anyway, here are a few pics I took. I have a few more if anyone wants some... pretty basic but I figured I would post em. I bolted the bracket to the front end once I welded the pipe to both pieces of strap steel. I DO plan on taking this off next year when I fab my new VERY CAPABLE bumpers. This is just something to get me through the winter wheeling season.

2460890_12_full.jpg

2460890_13_full.jpg

how do they attach? how many bolts?

Thats my question as well. they LOOK good. Personally I would want them to run down the "frame" and attach as many times as possible.

I am still using the factory POSITIONED tow hooks. i bold position as the bracketry is more MD than factory stuff. But I do not like the idea of down turned hooks. Its just wrong and could hang you up bad if it hooks something. I have seen 1.25 sq X 6" long pieces of steel that bolt to the factory position but extend out as yours have with a hole in the end for a shackle. I like these alot. I will be making myself up a set over the winter!!

Yours is very nice and clean, good job!!

CW

I have seen 1.25 sq X 6" long pieces of steel that bolt to the factory position but extend out as yours have with a hole in the end for a shackle. I like these alot. I will be making myself up a set over the winter!!

CW

Make two sets, and I'll buy one of them from ya. Seriously.....

Jeff

On each side, I used the top two points that mount the bumper brackets and then drilled a hole in the frame rail to accept a half inch bolt farther back in. The key factor to all this and the reason why I can get away with just these holes is that there is virtually no slop in the entire setup, including the bolt mounting holes. When things can move, they will break alot easier. Also, I have the spanner pipe which helps distribute the load on both sides of the truck.

2460890_16_full.jpg

When I put my Smitty built bumper on I replaced all the hardware they supplied with big beefy grade 8 stuff. Then I got some tow hooks off'n a 92 fullsize Chevy and made a sandwich with the hooks on the inner sides of the frame and the bumper mounts on the outside so they take most of the brunt. notched the holes in the hooks about a half inch so the bolts would line up, used a hole saw to cut two half circles in the splash guard and called it good. They worked great twice so far. If you look under the bumper you can kinda see them.