Entering a new realm of Jeeps - The ZJ

terrawombat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever traded in a 5.9 in the C4C program should be shot, multiple times by various high caliber weapons...

I agree. Not everyone is like us, though. Even the salvage yard I'm buying the trans from doesn't really think the vehicle is anything special. My hope is that some rich snob traded in their gas guzzling SUV in the CFC program to buy something newer and more fuel efficient and not because their 5.9 was a heap on wheels and had all sorts of problems.

Ah well, you have good taste in wheels sir.

Thank you. I'm pretty stoked to now own a vehicle that actually came with those wheels from the factory. Also, do you have any idea what the P/N is on the center caps for those wheels? As you can see, I'm missing one :D

Ah well, you have good taste in wheels sir.

Thank you. I'm pretty stoked to now own a vehicle that actually came with those wheels from the factory. Also, do you have any idea what the P/N is on the center caps for those wheels? As you can see, I'm missing one :D

Ya I'm missing a couple myself, I don't know the part number(which is mostly desired for the matching color) but they are the same caps as are used on the eccos, grizzly's, icons etc. Even KJ centercaps will work.

Worked for about 4 hours in the freezing cold trying to get the old transmission out. Got pretty far, just need to remove four bellhousing bolts, the crankshaft position sensor, fill tube, and it should slide on out. Got the Cash for Clunkers transmission today. Also came with the VIN of the ZJ it came out of. Ran an AutoCheck on it and last reported mileage was two years ago at 47K. AutoCheck also revealed that is was, indeed, a Cash for Clunkers vehicle. Got it strapped to my transmission jack so I can wheel it around my shop until it's time for it to go in.

Should be able to get the old trans out tomorrow night and hopefully get this one in and bolted to the engine. I will probably dedicate Thursday and Friday night to getting everything back together. Looking to drive it 200+ miles this weekend...hope this trans is good!

Yup, if you can't afford an SRT, then get a 5.9, it can be built just as fast or faster and cheaper than a Hemi....although the Magnum eventually maxes out due to inherit design characteristics - unless you've got the money....

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticl ... ticles.php

Hate to beat on a dead horse but I will anyway,,,,the C4C was a crock - he could have driven the 5.9 for the rest of his life and not polluted as much as it takes to build just one hybrid in a factory. I have to subscribe to Seasick Steve's philosophy.....he starts talkin about cars later in the video....

sorry bro :hijack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjZJPDD8iiA

Got the new trans in Thursday night. Worked from 7PM to 3AM straight and went into work a little late the next day. Something came up where I needed a vehicle Friday night and with my XJ out of commission for the moment, I needed to get the ZJ done. I could always fall back on my MJ, but I had told my friend he could use it to move his stuff into his new apartment in NYC.

Things went fairly smooth, but I found a stripped thread on the transmssion case for one of the pan bolts. Luckily, it was a through hole, so i put a slightly smaller bolt in the hole and a nut on top. If I ever drop the pan again, I'll think about putting a helicoil fix for the threads. Fired the truck up around 2:30AM, adjusted the fluid level, and took her for a spin. All seemed to be okay except at light throttle conditions, the truck would search and hunt for gears and seemed very clunky. Pulled it back into the shop and checked the throttle valve cable adjustment going to the trans - too tight. Adjusted it to where it needs to be and shifts like butter now :D

This truck is a ton of fun to drive, especially on the highway with the OD turned off - plenty of torque to get the pig going faster from a roll. Going to do a few HP adders (throttle body, intake, exhaust, and maybe a custom tune). Also, gotta love the fact that it requires premium and I got about 14MPG average on my last tank :D

way to rub salt in the wound...I've been wanting those wheels for the last 2 years... :shake:

and that video, give me those wheels and I'll give you mine before you do that

Heh, sorry. I actually accidentally stumbled upon the set on my XJ. I was a couple weeks away from taking a 700+ mile round trip for work and the tread on the stockers were getting on the low side. I was traveling up to NH and it was in the middle of winter so I was expecting plenty of snow. Went on CL and just looked up the first set of Jeep rims with a good amount of tread left on winter or all-season tires. Found a set for $250 for four rims/tires with over 70% tread - no picture. Drove down to the guys place after work and they happened to be from a '98ZJ 5.9L Limited that the guy had. I was excited since I assumed they were the stock XJ steelies or something, but I played it cool, found a small blemish on one of the rims, offered him $200 and he countered with $225 so we settled on that. Loaded them up and had a grin on my face the whole ride back.

The irony of the situation was that NH didn't see an ounce of snow when I went up while back home in NJ, we got 12 inches dumped on us.

Also, I won't be doing any four-wheel burnouts in my new ZJ any time soon as the PO put new tires all the way around before he sold it. Receipt in the car shows $648 for tires, balance, and mounting roughly 3,000 miles ago.

Heh, sorry. I actually accidentally stumbled upon the set on my XJ. I was a couple weeks away from taking a 700+ mile round trip for work and the tread on the stockers were getting on the low side. I was traveling up to NH and it was in the middle of winter so I was expecting plenty of snow. Went on CL and just looked up the first set of Jeep rims with a good amount of tread left on winter or all-season tires. Found a set for $250 for four rims/tires with over 70% tread - no picture. Drove down to the guys place after work and they happened to be from a '98ZJ 5.9L Limited that the guy had. I was excited since I assumed they were the stock XJ steelies or something, but I played it cool, found a small blemish on one of the rims, offered him $200 and he countered with $225 so we settled on that. Loaded them up and had a grin on my face the whole ride back.

The irony of the situation was that NH didn't see an ounce of snow when I went up while back home in NJ, we got 12 inches dumped on us.

Also, I won't be doing any four-wheel burnouts in my new ZJ any time soon as the PO put new tires all the way around before he sold it. Receipt in the car shows $648 for tires, balance, and mounting roughly 3,000 miles ago.

way to go on the score jamminz.gif you lucky bastid :cheers:

in the two years...i've only found one...just one...the "spare" :nuts:

way to go on the score jamminz.gif you lucky bastid :cheers:

in the two years...i've only found one...just one...the "spare" :nuts:

There has been a set up for sale near me on CL for months. Started at $400 and I think he's down to $200 now. It's just for rims with no tires, though. If he had tires on them, I would have snatched those up a long time ago.

Just found out that my PCM was de-tuned by Chrysler in 2002 to accept the use of 87 octane fuel. They basically screwed with the timing map and made my V8 act like a V6. Time for a custom tune to get the power back that was robbed from me :D

Bad Chrysler! Bad Chrysler!

From what I understand, Chrysler issued this as a TSB and led owners to believe that it needed to be done. It was done in response to a large number of owners complaining that their engines required premium fuel and didn't run well on 87 octane. Maybe they should have bought a Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L or 4.0L then?

I am relieved to know that any idiot previous owner that put in 87 octane did so with an engine that was tuned to accept its use, at least after 2002.

There has been a set up for sale near me on CL for months. Started at $400 and I think he's down to $200 now. It's just for rims with no tires, though. If he had tires on them, I would have snatched those up a long time ago.

linky? :cheers:

linky? :cheers:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/2101121838.html

Interested? I wonder how much shipping would be to CO. Could probably even get those for less than $200. They've been up for a really long time.

He doesn't list his area code, but it's most certainly 609. EHT stands for Egg Harbor Township, NJ.

Interested? I wonder how much shipping would be to CO. Could probably even get those for less than $200. They've been up for a really long time.

He doesn't list his area code, but it's most certainly 609. EHT stands for Egg Harbor Township, NJ.

thanks, only $165 for shipping 4 35lb packages from eht to denver with UPS ground

thanks, only $165 for shipping 4 35lb packages from eht to denver with UPS ground

That wouldn't be so bad if you could get the guy down to, say, $100 :D

When I got my 5.9 I actually wanted to do the same thing,,,,then I got educated on that mod. Mine gets better mileage with 93 than 91 or 89 and saves $ with better mpgs. Plus it has more power. I get 17 on the highway with 245 vs 225 tires.

Yes, many have reported an increase in fuel economy after reversal of the PCM de-tune. What I love about these vehicles is that the more bolt-on mods you do, the better fuel economy seems to get. Simple things like a PCM reflash, larger throttle body, intake, and exhaust, fuel economy gets better. That is, if you can keep your foot off the skinny pedal after doing the power-adding mods :D