XJ gas tank in an MJ?

Do you have a long bed or a short bed? I have been toying with how to add a 2nd gas tank. Here are a couple of suggestions.

With your spare in place, measure from the top of the tire to however close to the ground you are willing to have the tank hang. Then measure how wide the distance between the frame rails are. If you have a long bed, this will be difficult to do because of the huge Xbrace.

You should post the measurements here and I am sure others will be able to suggest a tank that can fit. I am thinking that some shallow tanks from old Ford trucks or full size GM early 70' cars would be a possible fit. Some were just over 9 inches tall and from 18 to 25 gallons in size.

Here is a link to a custom installation in a late model Jeep:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/sho ... php?t=7769

Some good ideas here. Like how to fill both tans from one filler. But the thread is 12 pages long.

I put a TJ tank in Onyx. I think a Dakota tank is a better fit.

So how about a link or some pictures? Did you use the TJ tank as a second tank?? if so where did you mount it.

OK I found it! Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11834&start=240

Good information and nice pictures. You installed it in place of your original MJ tank on a short bed.

Can you post more about the Dakota tank - I think it was on the small side and not used as a second tank. Am I right?

Thanks

A Dakota tank will fit in the stock location with very little modification. The biggest hurdle will the gauge sender. It works very well for a 97+ conversion. If you have a short bed truck, a TJ tank will fit in the spare tire location like it was made for it. Again, you will have sender problems with your stock gauge. I am going to see how well a ZJ tank fits in a couple months on Betty. I am sure you can't wait that long for the update if your tank is rotted away.

A Dakota tank will fit in the stock location with very little modification. The biggest hurdle will the gauge sender. It works very well for a 97+ conversion. If you have a short bed truck, a TJ tank will fit in the spare tire location like it was made for it. Again, you will have sender problems with your stock gauge. I am going to see how well a ZJ tank fits in a couple months on Betty. I am sure you can't wait that long for the update if your tank is rotted away.

What year/model Dakota tank should I look for? How does the size compare to the MJ?

Not to whine (too much), but can you provide more specific information on the physical size of the Dakota tank? And just which Dakota did the tank come from? Meaning standard cab, club cab, quad cab, etc.

My lady's son has a base Dakota, not sure of the year. Will check the physical size of his gas tank in the next couple of weeks. (early 2000?)

Had looked at an early 90's Dakota 15 gal tank and tossed out that idea because the tank was too small as a replacement for my long bed. But I need to look hard at moving the muffler and fitting a second tank under the passenger side of the bed. Might be the best location/solution.

Just use a stock Comanche tank on the other side. Turn the tank around (filler still on the drivers side), extend a filler pipe from the existing drivers side to reach the passenger side. Just use a switch/valve to change tanks. Use the factory fuel gauge for both tanks. Keep spare in stock location. Double driving range.

Good excuse to buy headers at the same time. :banana: Just need to stop dumping $$ into the Passat for a little while.

(after new clutch and bigger turbo).

Then again, I don't use the truck for long trips, I use the diesel Passat wagon (8 to 1200 miles on one tank of fuel - my bladder does not last that long), the Rodeo 4 x 4 (to tow trailer - 300 miles between fills) or the Camry for a long trip (450 to 500 miles/tank). All of them are more comfortable than the Comanche for a trip of more than a couple hundred miles.

JJ

Good ideas here...really nice work Shelbyluv.

What I want to do is toss out the stock tank and toss out the spare tire and the assembly. Have one tank under the bed in the location where the spare tire used to be. My MJ is a Pioneer swb model. I figure the XJ tank would be easiest due to shape and the sending unit, the fact that the late models were plastic is a plus for me. But I don't care if the tank comes out of an old Buick, the better it fits and the less it hangs down the better...I want to keep that back area as high and smooth as possible since I will be mounting a rear diffuser back there to manage airflow.