AX15 Swap Information

I have a few questions about the AX15. I know a few of you on this board have done the swap, so I am seeking your wisdom before I get started. I just picked up a 1990 AX15 from a 4X4 Cherokee. I have read that the older AX15's don't have a vent - mine does not. How important is this, and where is it located on the transmission? I would also like to know if the transfercase linkage from an 4wd AX5 would work? I know that they are similar in design. I will need the input shaft for my 231, the linkage for the transfercase. Will I need to get the AX15 crossmember? Or will my factory BA10 work? Anything else that I am forgetting?

So, my questions are;

1) Do I need the crossmember from an AX15?

2) What linkage do I need to make the conversion work?

3) Where is the vent tube located on the AX15, and how impotant is it?

Thanks, Rich

you shouldn't need the crossmember, but you may need to move yours so you may need some nutcerts.

You'll need the proper trans mount.

You'll need the bellhousing and everything in it.

You'll likely need the t-case atached.

Vent is on the top, just put a rubber hose on it and a hose clamp, run it to the top of the firewall.

You'll probably need the t-case linkage.

You'll definitly need the shifter from the AX-15, as the BA-10 shifter is way different.

the only draw back to the AX-15 is that it is setup for internal slave which some on this board like and can be found on the pre 94 XJ to 89(was switch yr for the MJ/XJ) I have found them to be :headpop: the external seems to work for me jamminz.gif The ba10 the spline count are 21 and the ax-15 is 23 so that won't work for unless you already have the transfer case from the donor which will make things easy. :brows:

The crossmember from the BA-10 will work and shouldnt have to be moved. I didnt move mine and I just drove the truck 450 miles yesterday. You will need the AX-15 trans mount. My AX-15 came from a YJ so I had clocking issues on my t-case and the shifter looked like it belonged in a mack truck in the MJ interior. I simply popped the shifter arms off of their gear selectors that bolt onto the trannys and swapped the arms. It is a square mount and they are very much interchangable.

Thanks everyone. I do have the bellhousing, but I want to switch over to the external. Have the shifter also, but no vent - that is ok ;) . I will try to use my old cross member. I am getting a new 23 spline shaft from NOVAK. Anyone have the part number on the AX15 trans mount?-Rich

This is the only pic I have on file that kinda shows it. I had some pipe spacers in between the tranny and mount but took them out to help my pinion angle...

If you want more I can take more pics, it is just a lil dirtier under there now... ;)

2460890_10_full.jpg

The crossmember from the BA-10 will work and shouldnt have to be moved. I didnt move mine and I just drove the truck 450 miles yesterday. You will need the AX-15 trans mount. My AX-15 came from a YJ so I had clocking issues on my t-case and the shifter looked like it belonged in a mack truck in the MJ interior. I simply popped the shifter arms off of their gear selectors that bolt onto the trannys and swapped the arms. It is a square mount and they are very much interchangable.

My '88 came with a YJ AX-15 and the YJ transfer case linkage still on it -- and the floor pan/trans tunnel badly hacked to allow the YJ transfer case shifter to extend up through it.

Were you able to use your stock MJ transfer case shift linkage? Did you need to make any modifications? Which transfer case did you use, XJ or MJ? (I assume you must have used the one that matches the AX-15, because of the spline count issue?)

I'd really like to get mine looking a bit less redneck on the inside, so any advice regarding the transfer case linkage would be appreciated.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=22282&highlight=#22282

This link goes to a spot where I have already posted pics and explained things. Basically I used an XJ/MJ main linkage component and welded a bracketry around it that will mount to the two places the bracket mounted to the AX-15 before. I am assuming that it mounted in these places because when I got the tranny the bolt and nut were missing from these locations, one being a tapped hole on the tranny and the other being a stud that joins the T-case to the tranny. I made it out of 1/4" steel so it will be stronger than I'll ever need and the nice thing about it is that I have a factory looking setup in the cab by using the XJ/MJ handle. I can get more pics if you want...

• 3 years later...

Reviving and old one here... :cheers:

Hi Drahcir495,

I am getting ready to do the AX-15 swap and have the same problem you had. I have a '90 AX-15 with no case vent and a '95 shifter with no vent in the base. Did you run into any problems with the lack of a vent??? I was wondering if I should tap a hole into the shifter base?

Thanks

Reviving and old one here... :cheers:

Hi Drahcir495,

I am getting ready to do the AX-15 swap and have the same problem you had. I have a '90 AX-15 with no case vent and a '95 shifter with no vent in the base. Did you run into any problems with the lack of a vent??? I was wondering if I should tap a hole into the shifter base?

Thanks

Wow, it has been a while :yes: . I just got done with the majority of the swap this weekend. I am doing a write-up on it, but I will not be able to complete it until after my final on Monday. Not sure about the vent hose - I am no longer concerned over having one. I been running it for two days now and it has been great. This AX15 is a huge improvement over the BA10. I was considering getting a short throw shifter for it, but after driving it for a short while I don't believe it is necessary. It has a real tight shift pattern - night and day difference over the BA10. I will be updating my build-up page when the write-up is complete. It will mainly focus on the differences between the two transmissions & what I was not able to find in the other write-ups I had found. I have plenty of pictures to go along with it too