Front Locker

I'm thinking about putting a front lunchbox locker in my MJ. I'd like to hear from anyobdy who has one about how you like it and how it handles on the trail. My main concern is if I'll be able to steer while in 4low. I don't want to have to shift into 2 HI every time I want to make a turn. I already have enough trouble with tight turns with all the extra wheelbase and length that we've got over a SWB Jeep. I've got a five speed and a non-disco D30, if that changes you thoughts.

It's gotta be better than my stupid mini-spool. The automatic lockers are supposed to unlock when you aren't hard on the gas right? At the very least I recomend upgrading to some junkyard axle shafts and 297 Ujoints from an XJ. 94+ will have them, as well as earlier XJs with antilock brakes. They will have a one pice passenger side inner shaft too. If you insist on keeping the CAD, then that makes life harder. Rumor has it that 95 YJ shafts will they have the CAD and 297s. Don't know for sure but it's something to look into.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I say go for it, the wheel will feel a bit heavier. It will depend on how much traction your getting as to how it steers. On loose slippery stuff you won't even notice it. After a few wheeling trips you won't think about it. I wouldn't take mine out for anything.

I ran a lockrite on my YJ with manual steering for a while ................ man that was a ba$t&d and a half to steer .

I switched to power steering and even with the 33's it steers ok a little tight but well worth it it my book.

when I get my MJ setup I will run the same setup

I have been running a lock right up front for the last yr. Steering a LWB jeep on the trail is always A PITA, but its doable. I strongly recommend stronger shafts and u-joints, unless you are trying to practice changing shafts. Also the shock loading of shafts busting has been known to destroy lock rights, I know it happened to me.

Patrick

A Lock Right in the front will be just fine- I have run them in everything from a Trailduster on 35s to my Scrambler on 34x9.50s to my TJ on Q78s. Keep in mind that the disco D30 bends pretty easy, and if it does, your lockers won't work very well. (It took 3 rollovers for mine to start intermittantly working on the passenger side) :roll: