1987 jeep comanche 4x4

hey I'm new here to the club. I'm hopefully going to be picking this baby up in a month or so. its a 1987 comanche 4x4 4.0. the guy is selling it for 700$ but it needs a new clutch and is behind on registration since may. I'm just hoping some of u guys can tell me how much it would cost for a new clutch and what are some starting points as far as a build up go. id like to throw on a 3inch lift and everything else i want to do is pretty much cosmetic. i want a daily driver that i can take up to the mountains or out to the desert and have some fun without getting to crazy.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8256/comanche3.jpg

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3491/comanche.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6060/comanche4.jpg

can't figure out how to post pictures. can someone help?

here's how to post them:http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11077

you will have to use smaller pic's to upload to you may only upload up to 1300 pixels wide. try photobucket :thumbsup:

nobody likes to click links :no:

Brandon

is replaceing the clutch myself a pretty easy job or what? I'm no expert but i am mechanically inclined and i have a few friends who know what they are doing. but i don't really have room anywhere if its a big project. i could prolly find space in someones yard for a day to do it but no longer.

should i just take it to a shop? i know a guy that will give me a bit of a discount. also trying to get it fixed asap once i get it so i don't have to ride to work anymore in the cold.

i get paid every week but only around 150-200$ so I'm on a budget too. if i do take it to a shop it will take about 5 weeks of saving ALL my paycheck. that means feeling like a fool for mooching off the gf which i DO NOT like doing.

oh and i forgot to mention it needs a new cat. how hard is that to replace? should i say @#$% it and try to pay my way to smog certification?

Since its an 87, it has the not so good Peugeot trans. Since the trans needs to come out anyway, you might as well upgrade to an AX 15 from a late 89 or newer XJ/MJ. You can probably find one pretty cheap. Cats are easy, 4 bolts hold it to the exhaust, and its clamped to the pipe going to the muffler. If your lucky it won't be rusted together like mine was, and will actually come out.

so i found out from the guy I'm buying this truck off of that he thinks its the master/slave that is the problem but he isnt sure since there is a internal slave in the ax5?

he says the clutch doesnt engage at all.......what could make it do taht?

also how easy is a ax15 tranny swap? i found a guy who will sell rebuilt ones for 500

when you replace your master slave,

do them at the same time, buy new line as well,

part of the line has to be rubber to relive stress from the engine (cracks hard lines overtime),

do all of that at the same time, and you should be laughing, took me 2 years and 4 or 5 clutches, 2 slaves whole new lines, and 2 new master cyls

and new clutch master and slave should come around to 120+ shipping on clutchcityonline

glhf

when you replace your master slave,

do them at the same time, buy new line as well,

part of the line has to be rubber to relive stress from the engine (cracks hard lines overtime),

do all of that at the same time, and you should be laughing, took me 2 years and 4 or 5 clutches, 2 slaves whole new lines, and 2 new master cyls

and new clutch master and slave should come around to 120+ shipping on clutchcityonline

glhf

what's a master slave? is that the slave in charge on the plantation?