Idle Control Motor for 87 2.5

When looking at the photos I see a hex on the end of that plunger, can it be threaded out to bump the idle up a bit?

Nope. The computer will compensate by pulling the ISA in farther. Even if you unplug the ISA, the computer will compensate, I assume by changing the timing.

Before you change anything, be absolutely certain you don't have a vacuum leak. Get a full can of carb spray and with the engine idling, spray everything vacuum related, and listen for an rpm change. Pay special attention to the rubber block that connects the TB to the vacuum manifold. That is where my problem was.

The ISA has some special installation and adjustment procedures. I can't remember where I got it, but if anyone wants it I will be glad to email the .pdf to you.

Also, if you disassemble the ISA, when you pull the cover off pay attention to the plastic hex nut that is threaded onto the plunger. This affects the overall length and the closed throttle switch. Lose this length and you are well and truly screwed. Don't ask me how I know. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

I took mine apart and attached the motor side of the unit to the harness plug in. I disconnected the battery and turned the ignition switch on. I connected the battery cable and watched, but the motor shaft inside the unit did not turn at all. I pressed the part that causes the little set of points in there to connect. Still no motor movement. Previous to putting the one on I now have, the motor in the old one worked but the rest of it didn't. But, I threw it away! :fs1: So, I am ASSuming, by this test, the motor in this one is not working? The shaft of the motor turns easily, but has about 1/8 inch end play.

Autozone has them for about the same, but not listed for jeep. Had to look for it under one of the other applications. The website like you sent? I contacted them and they say they are temporarily out of stock. The listing came up with that part number for a 1982 Cavalier! That's the application I used at Autozone, and the picture looks right.

Most all electronics (and many other parts) on the late AMCs were sourced out from GM, Chrysler, Ford, and of course the Renault junk. AMC was dying and had no $$ for developing new products. The trick is to get the AMC part number, then run it thru a good aftermarket cross-reference for vehicle applications. You can usually save big $$ and get a good OEM GM-Chrysler-Ford part that's identical to the AMC original.

Using an 83 Chevy Malibu with 3.8, found one for 45 plus shipping. Part number is REPH313201 and found it at https://www.autopartswarehouse.com

Thanks for all the help/suggestions, guys!

BTW, search that same website for that part using 87 Jeep Comanche 2.5, and it comes up with no idle motor. Guess they think no one has any of those vehicles any more.

• 3 years later...

Using an 83 Chevy Malibu with 3.8, found one for 45 plus shipping. Part number is REPH313201 and found it at https://www.autopartswarehouse.com

BTW, search that same website for that part using 87 Jeep Comanche 2.5, and it comes up with no idle motor. Guess they think no one has any of those vehicles any more.

To update, that part number on autopartswarehouse has risen in four years to $114.50.

To update, that part number on autopartswarehouse has risen in four years to $114.50.

Searched through rockauto's catalogue using Don's Jeep PN (83502375) and it came up with a few options. Most expensive one is around $83 or so.  I would recommend this to any 2.5ers out there looking for a suitable replacement. IIRC, the one I ordered a year or so ago was an old GM model from the early 80s on RA's catalogue. Only paid around $50 for it. Still, it's a shame that part prices continue to climb like this...

• 4 months later...