rear quarter cuts

okay its time. my rear quarters have bumped, dinged and smashed everytime i go hardcore with it. they are about on thier last leg so its time to cut em. i read a few threads on yall cutting them and it seems everyone did it a little different. my question is, whats the best way to do it and where do i stop cutting? some of you cut below the body line and folded, other didnt. i know there would be some strength added back to it with the cut and fold method but ill have a slider there so I'm not too worried. as far as mudding goes, did you put something up in there to stop stuff from flying in there or just left it open? as you can see I'm full of questions but i just want to do it right the first time you know what i mean lol. thanks in advance guys

I would use the "cut and fold" method you referenced. Just before you get the metal folded all the way up I would run a decent bead of silicone along it and then "crush" the silicone in there when you finish the fold. After the silicone dries hit the seam with some undercoating for additional corrosion protection. Or instead of the silicone you could finish the fold and then use some seam sealer to seal the joint. Regardless, I would seal it up good or it will be a debris catcher like you stated.

The added strength of the folded metal will help support the body panel during everyday use. It still probably wouldn't do much if it gets hit by a rock or other obstacle on the trail, but it sounds like you already have plans to use a rock rail or extended rear bumper to protect it anyway.

• 1 year later...

a long @$$ time later and i finally cut em. a tree got me again and busted my tail light and crunched in the tail light area. cutting them is just making it easier to fix it.

i just did the "cut it" method instead of the "cut and fold". its still pretty firm, not flimsy at all.

nice. i didnt want to use a sawzall because its too violent for me. if you can get a good cut going sure but forget that. a cutoff wheel makes a pretty cut and where you want it. either way you got it done though :thumbsup:

whats up with that drivers leaf spring? or is the picture playing tricks?