Need/Want to Buy a Welder...Talk to me!

SuperWade2

It's time that I man up and buy a welder... I've had to haul projects (axles) to friends houses 1/2 dozen or so times over the past year or so and it's getting old (and "friends" is maybe a stretch and takes forever to get one to agree to help).

So I thought I would start with a cheapy Stick Welder so I bought an old Lincoln Tombstone Stick/Arc for $50 on Craigslist, not sure it even works. Waiting for another "friend" to help me get a 240V plug in my garage. I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead and go straight to a 220v MIG instead of messing with the stick welder...

I've never welded anything, and don't really have any big plans for building my own cage or bumper or anything, but it just seems even for little things, like welding on LCA mini-skids, new SwayBar Link Mounts, or Bolts onto stripped Belly pan bolts, I should be able to do those things without waiting for weeks for someone to have free time and then somehow get the parts to someone else's house to work on.

I've been scouring Craigslist in SF Bay area for a nice used 220v and not had much luck. I'm looking for something like a Millermatic 175/180, Lincoln 175-SP/180 HD, or Hobart Handler 175 or something similar.

Any advice, or thoughts, other than just keep pumping Craigslist for a used setup, or man up and buy a new one?

Thanks

Sw2

Learn to use what ya got first. Then after learning a little bit you'll be in a better position to know what you need. Age of a welder has nothing to do with it. It's quality that counts. In 1958 I bought a 15 year old Craftsman with 100 ft of power cable and 50ft of welding cable, a helmet and a bunch of rod for $50. I'm still using it and it turns out some damn nice work. I also have a Millermatic Mig and a Lincoln Ranger. My father in law bought a shiney new Hobart gas powered in the '50's sometime. I inheireted it and it still works great.I prefer the ol Craftsman. You can go out and buy the latest rig with all the bells and whistles you want, but that's not going to make you a welder. Only practice will do that.

Learn to use what ya got first. Then after learning a little bit you'll be in a better position to know what you need. Age of a welder has nothing to do with it. It's quality that counts. In 1958 I bought a 15 year old Craftsman with 100 ft of power cable and 50ft of welding cable, a helmet and a bunch of rod for $50. I'm still using it and it turns out some damn nice work. I also have a Millermatic Mig and a Lincoln Ranger. My father in law bought a shiney new Hobart gas powered in the '50's sometime. I inheireted it and it still works great.I prefer the ol Craftsman. You can go out and buy the latest rig with all the bells and whistles you want, but that's not going to make you a welder. Only practice will do that.

I'm not certain what I got works... won't know until I get 220v in my Garage...

I've got the Lincoln SP-180T. Love it. It'll do sheetmetal, but still has the balls to weld brackets on an axle. It's spool-gun ready too.

Here's a reconditioned unit, comes with everything you'll need.

http://www.weldingmart.com/product_deta ... A1B52D3735

BTW, thanks for the link, that's a pretty nice price for the reconditioned unit.... I have friends with the Millermatic 175/180 which looks like similar specs but start in the 700-800 range...

Will I want the gas tank as well, or can I do alot of the simple starter stuff without?

I'm not certain what I got works... won't know until I get 220v in my Garage...

Get a looooong extension cord and run it over to yer neighbors.

I've got the Lincoln SP-180T. Love it. It'll do sheetmetal, but still has the balls to weld brackets on an axle. It's spool-gun ready too.

Here's a reconditioned unit, comes with everything you'll need.

http://www.weldingmart.com/product_deta ... A1B52D3735

BTW, thanks for the link, that's a pretty nice price for the reconditioned unit.... I have friends with the Millermatic 175/180 which looks like similar specs but start in the 700-800 range...

Will I want the gas tank as well, or can I do alot of the simple starter stuff without?

You'll want to have a bottle of gas. It makes a big difference. I got a tank of 75/25 from my local airgas for around 50 bucks. It was a used tank but who cares?

Old Lincoln Tombstones are quality... it's what I've got. Arc has its disadvantages compared to MIG, but it's got advantages too. It may be "old school" but it still has plenty to offer. If yours is AC/DC I'd hang on to it (as long as it works, but the older ones are pretty bullet proof), and maybe pick up a cheapo 110v portable flux MIG welder for those times you can't haul out the big tombstone, for little projects. If it's AC/DC and it works, $50 is a steal.

Old Lincoln Tombstones are quality... it's what I've got. Arc has its disadvantages compared to MIG, but it's got advantages too. It may be "old school" but it still has plenty to offer. If yours is AC/DC I'd hang on to it (as long as it works, but the older ones are pretty bullet proof), and maybe pick up a cheapo 110v portable flux MIG welder for those times you can't haul out the big tombstone, for little projects. If it's AC/DC and it works, $50 is a steal.

Not the DC model, AC only, still not sure it works...I really need to figure out how to do wiring instead of relying on other people.

i've got a millermatic challenger 172 that i got from CL for 300.

i use the same welder at work and it's what i learned to weld on. very easy to use, definitely get gas if you can, even just a small bottle. also your dryer is most likely 220, i just unplug mine and run the welder to that when i need to use it.

i've got a millermatic challenger 172 that i got from CL for 300.

i use the same welder at work and it's what i learned to weld on. very easy to use, definitely get gas if you can, even just a small bottle. also your dryer is most likely 220, i just unplug mine and run the welder to that when i need to use it.

That exactly what I've been looking for...So far, not much luck (either Big Old ones, or Big New ones > $1000).

My Dryer is Gas only with a regular 110v plug :fs1:

learn to weld good with the stick welder and by the time you get a mig it will be a cinch. i also kike the older welders stick or mig seem to weld better . also go out and get you a good helmet like an auto darkening one i still use a regular full face one . but thats me ive burnt my eyes twice now by welding too close get the darkest shade lens you can hope this helps . comanche.gif

btw what kind o f stove you have

My Dryer is Gas only with a regular 110v plug :fs1:

Your stove gas also? If it's electric it will be 220V.

Stove electric, but there is no socket/plug... it's a a built in double oven that is hard wired to 220v circuit, and about 150ft from garage anyhow