What a weekend

My truck is all f#$% up it all started saturday morning about 6 AM got up to go hunting. I was driving down the two track and I heard some kind of noise like something was draging so I get to my spot and look under the truck and my exhaust was hanging :mad: . SWEET went hunting came back luckley I found something to hang it up with went back to camp a few hours later went out to hunt a I lost my clip to my gun so I was on my way back to the spot where I got under the truck and on my way down the two track a log gets jammed up underneith my truck and ripped my fuel pump clip all to crap and the truck died and lost one side of the clip in the grass. :redX: I found it then I didnt know what wire went to what so I messed around with it for a while and then had to walk back to camp get someone to tow me back so I could try to fix it. I started drinking shortly after this all happened in the meantime trying to figure out a way to get home with my truck. I went hunting for a little while and get back to see two friends who went with were trying to fix it. They ended up fixing it I don't know how but I tried everything. That was the only good part of the day. On my way home sunday I got it in third gear and I was going to shift and I heard this loud knocking sound come from the trans and I wasnt even half way home I was like WTF so I kept it out of third gear the rest of the way home and babied the hell out of it well it got progressively worse and started doing it in all the gears. :headpop: I ended up limping into my driveway with relief and now its sitting in my garage and barely got it in there and I came home with no deer. That was the exstent of my weekend :nuts: . So now I have to find a trany. :cry:

What tranny do you have??? Wouldnt happen to be an AX-4 or 5 would it? Sounds like my troubles with mine. I shreded the input or output shaft on my ax-4 (can't remember which it was). Sucked bad when they all went away except 4th cause its straight thru. Sorry to hear of the luck you had. Hope everything works out well.

Cole

I think its the peugot I havent took it apart yet. I really don't know how to tell the diff. I heard of a few ways to tell. Its a 5 speed. I hope I can find a trany I bought the truck for 1500 and don't want to spend more than its worth on a trany or a rebuild.

What else do you need to put the AX-15 trans in besides the transfer case? Cause I was talking to one junkyard and he was saying something about putting a newer, better trans in but the guy that knew was out to lunch I havent called back yet anyways he said somewhere around $700 to do it that seems a little high. This other junkyard said he might have the trans I need but I have to take it over there to see if its the same and he said $200 exchange. I don't know if I want to put the same trans back in it. Thats sounds like a good deal your getting. I'll have to call around and see what I can get it for.

well I just got done ripping the piece of crap trans out what a pain :mad: . I stripped out one of the trans bolts up by the top of the trans by the head I though I was never gonna get it out, jamminz.gif now time to look for a trans ans t-fer case. Am I gonna need to keep any of the parts of the old trans and case to do the AX-15 and case swap?

Doesn't really matter. 95+ will have the external slave which is better, but in your case it seems it's more important that the trans be affordable rather than the best-of-the-best. This site should help with a lot of what's involved with bolting in an AX-15:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

Other pointers are to replace those top 2 bellhousing bolts with long studs. It will help with guiding the trans in and then you can use regular ol' nuts to secure.

Try to get EVERYTHING that comes with the trans and t-case. That includes the shifter, the bellhousing, and everything inside the bellhousing.

Try to buy the trans ans t-case together. This eliminates any chance of them not going to gether properly and can usually be cheaper than buying separate

A search here might bring up more pointers I'm forgetting.

well I just got done ripping the piece of crap trans out what a pain :mad: . I stripped out one of the trans bolts up by the top of the trans by the head I though I was never gonna get it out, jamminz.gif now time to look for a trans ans t-fer case. Am I gonna need to keep any of the parts of the old trans and case to do the AX-15 and case swap?

how did you get the stripped bolt out

Thanks for all the help.

First I lowered the back end of the t-fer case a ways so I counld get at it easier. I got that bolt out by beating the crap out of it with a hammer so it would flaten out and then pounding a socket on it I had to do this almost ten times before it broke loose. What a relief.