AX-15 swap; pilot bushing

I'm doing a 4x4 swap on my '90 with an AX-15/NP231 out of a '98 XJ that I have as my donor vehicle (It's in great shape except for a HO that overheated and won't start). I am having a hell of a time finding the required pilot bushing. I've done my research and know that I need one from a '73 CJ5 V8. Problem is, nobody carries them anywhere that I can find in the Edmonton area. (why is everything so much more difficult for Canadians?) I ordered a bearing from Novak but it's the needle bearing type and I'd rather use a bushing. Can anyone help me out? I can't find a website that will ship one for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

I was able to find one locally at an Advanced Auto Parts. I think you can shop online:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... et/home___

As far as I can tell, they don't ship to Canada. Same with autozone.

And I thought the whole point of getting that bushing was because it was a direct fit, not so I could drill it out. If I have to drill one out I might as well just get any bushing and have it machined.

Yeah, no drilling required. At least I didn't have to.

Ok, good. I'm gonna stop by commercial bearings and see if they have one that specs out to the same dimensions. Maybe I'll end up asking one of you guys to mail me one. :cheers:

remember that you have to drill the center of the bearing out to fit the input shaft of the newer trans...

The 79 bushing that kept popping up needed to be drilled. 74 has the correct OD and ID.

Rockauto.com has the 74 CJ 304 bushing for about $5 and the roller bearing for under $3.

remember that you have to drill the center of the bearing out to fit the input shaft of the newer trans...

The 79 bushing that kept popping up needed to be drilled. 74 has the correct OD and ID.

Rockauto.com has the 74 CJ 304 bushing for about $5 and the roller bearing for under $3.

X2, that's what I used when I swapped the 95 AX15 into my 87.

Jeff

I did check them already. Problem is they want $20+ to ship a $4 part. Not that I can't afford it, it just makes me feel sick.

I did buy an industrial one today, 1"OD .75"ID for $2.50. I'm sure it's not going to work because the OD needs to be almost 1 1/16" but it was cheap so I got it. NAPA also sold me one that their system said was in the clutch kit for a CJ5 but the ID is way too small, maybe that's the '79 and I'll just drill it out.

This shouldn't be this difficult, they're both jeeps. :fs1: :wall:

I got mine at Advance Auto, but I had to check four stores before I found one. They brought it out and literally had to blow the dust off of it to be able to see what was inside the package :rotfl2:

Jeff

pb 77 hd <--that was the part number of the one I used on my Jeep, but my tranny was out of a 95 or 96 cherokee.

That's the same number that partsource had here, but not one store in the country had one in stock and when they phoned the supplier they said they were discontinued. Like nobody's allowed to own an older vehicle anymore.