97+ Interior Swap - Can it be done?

Yes. It requires a complete donor vehicle, as a high output swap is NECESSARY to accomplish it.

The 97 gauge cluster won't work without the 97 ecu

Thanks for the information. Will I need to install the high output motor? Right now, I've got an '89 2.5 2wd. I'd like to put the 4.0 in it anyway, so if it needs to happen I'll just have more of an excuse.

That, or find a 97+ 4 cyl donor, swap all sensors, manifolds, etc.

Finding a late model 4 banger is not easy. So yes, you have to do a complete swap.

Looks like I'll be looking for an automatic, 4wd, 6 cyl, 97+ XJ. :clapping:

Try to find a 2 door if possible. It makes finding some of the hard to get parts easier. As in the 2 door seat tilt mechanisms, the 2 door window switch, and the wiring is easier to do with the lack of rear door harnesses.

I am in the process of doing this swap again. It is fun. Take your time enjoy yourself.

Try to find a 2 door if possible. It makes finding some of the hard to get parts easier. As in the 2 door seat tilt mechanisms, the 2 door window switch, and the wiring is easier to do with the lack of rear door harnesses.

I am in the process of doing this swap again. It is fun. Take your time enjoy yourself.

First of all, I read your onyx thread and was blown away by that conversion. I always wanted to do a conversion like that to my '88 but I sold it, along with my '92. Both of my previous MJ's were 4.0 4WDs but when I stumbled upon my super clean '89 2wd 2.5, I had to buy it. When I bought it, I figured I was going to have to replace a lot of what my current MJ is lacking, so it wasn't that big of a deal to not have the front axle, transfer case, and 4.0.

If I buy a 2 door XJ, can I swap the doors directly or are they a different length?

Thanks!

wow man if you wana go all out then you might as well do a 4x4 convert and the 97+ front end convert. then your truck would be a full done MJ :cheers: can't wait to see this all unfold :D

Brandon

That's the plan. I just found some '05 Rubicon 5x4.5 rims that I'll pick up next week. I'm trying to decide what to start first, the interior or the 97+ front-end and doors or the engine and 4wd swap.

well, the interior won't work until the engine is swapped which won't work til the wiring and transmission or swapped.

I would...

find complete cherokee

gut cherokee, labeling things you may forget.

gut comanche

swap wiring

swap engine/trans/front axle/shifter stuff

install interior

install '97 doors

install '97 front end.

call it done.

• 9 years later...

Holy dead thread.  No you will have to cut the old column mount off to make room for the new one.  The new one you will just be drilling holes and putting nuts and bolts together so it's an easy install.  

The only required fab work is the mounts for the dash, steering column, and firewall where the steering column goes through.  It's all easy stuff you can do with relatively basic tools.