Engine Technology

IMO the factory XJ/MJ diesel was a POS. Unreliable, a pain to maintain, and no parts availability. Also the 1.9 TDI is too complex for my tastes. I think an ecotech MJ would be pretty cool though

WOW 1 person beside me thinks it would be cool! I thought NOBODY was going to like the idea! Maybe after i get it together i can get some more converts.

hey i likehe idea too that makes 2 of us

Add me to the list. Any of the mentioned swaps would be cool. I personally would do an LSJ or LNF swap on the ecotec front, don't mess with the boring ones :clapping:

I was not sure what the LSJ or LNF motors were, so i looked them up, Supercharged Ecotec. My idea was to do the boring motor first to workout the brackets and trans adapter, then put the 260hp turbo motor in later.

How much are these ecotec engines running in the junkyards? I rarely, if ever, see any vehicle over '05 in any of my yards and anything newer than that goes to the "special" section where you can't touch them and the yard has to sell you the parts...

First see what model you would like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine The LE5 motor looks like a good choice. Then take the make, model and year of the car that had the engine you were looking for and go to http://www.car-part.com and search for boneyards in your area that have what you are looking for. I put in a 2006 colbalt and got prices between $375 and $1,100.00 most were somewere in the middle. Find a boneyard that has a few and try and get it complete with computer, wiring harness and accessories.

I'm wondering though, if you are going to have issues mounting a transverse engine (99% of Ecotechs are) longitudinally. It might be a much easier swap if you used an engine from a pontiac solstice or saturn sky as they are mounted longitudinally in that application.

I'm wondering though, if you are going to have issues mounting a transverse engine (99% of Ecotechs are) longitudinally. It might be a much easier swap if you used an engine from a pontiac solstice or saturn sky as they are mounted longitudinally in that application.

Its the same engine, the exhaust manifold form a sky or solstice might be better. Actually i have been leaning towards the Atlas motors used in the Colorado, canyon and trialblazers. Looks like to bolt pattern might be the same as the small metric gm pattern used on the 4cylinder Jeep vehicles. The starter is high on the drivers side, so I might have to cut a piece out of the bellhousing and weld in a bump for the starter.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok After more research, it looks like Atlas engine would be an easy swap into a Comanche. The colorodo and Canyon use an asin transmission, so the bellhousing should probably bolt up to an AX5 or AX15. For an auto swap, the best way to go would be to swap the engine, trans and transfercase. You would have to use the GM electronics, but it would make sure everything would work together.

• 3 weeks later...

Things are moving forward Slowly, I picked up a 96 XJ that i plan to put the 180 hp 2.9 Atlas engine in. I will purchase a Manual trans and bell housing, and see if the bell housing fits an Ax5 and/or ax15. I may just end up using the trans that goes with the motor. They don't seem to cost that much. I will probably use the GM engine controller and accessories. I am not sure how to handle the gauges, i guess i will have to work it out. I did start a website to try and collect information on the Atlas engine family http://www.vortec4200.com and i will document my swap up there as well.

I know this is probably waayyyyyyy out of your budget, but I'll mention it anyway. I've always toyed around with the idea that when I go to a custom engine/trans/ECU swap into one of my vehicles where I want to keep the look of the interior completely stock, but also want fully functional gauges, I'd go with a custom gauge panel setup from a company like Dakota Digital. See: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... /cat69.htm

The VW TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) is 2 generations newer than the Renault engine in the 85-86 XJ/MJ. Many, many more of them in the states. Adaptor kit exists foa a TDI to Toyota transmission (Acme adapters). Also much less loud than the old Renault. To top it off, it is much lighter. But you will not buy a 1.9 TDI for $500.00 - then again, it is not a throw-a-way engine. 300-500K miles is not unusual. I have 203K on mine.

I was looking at the HP numnbers for that engine, seem pretty low. What is the actual spec?

Peter,

Realize this response is a bit late, BUT you should check out this site for information on TDI engines. It is the top site in the world for TDI information - without any doubt.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

You will find people there who are reliably getting 200 h.p and very close to 400 lbs/ft out of modified 1.9 TDI engines and they can still return over 40 mpg on the street.

BTW Peter, check your PM's for a note from me TDI in the subject.

It plays a role in that i can steal a dash out of a pre91 XJ or MJ and make it work.

I suppose - assuming that you retrofit the Renix sensors on the engine or are 100% sure that the current sensors on your Atlas engine will work with the Renix-style gauges. I wouldn't know, either way, but I would venture a guess that the newer Atlas sensors aren't going to play nice with the old Renix gauges. Doesn't mean you can't make it work.