D44 set, lift & tire; questions :)

It's been a while since I posted but I'm back and my trucks coming along nicely.

Axles:??? :???: ???

I just pulled the axles out of a 78 Jeep Wagoner and I'm curious on the capabilities I'm getting and the difficulties when installing them into my comanche. I saw a leaf spring to the front conversion, I'll have to do that I guess.

Lift & Tires:??? :???: ???

I want to get 33" tires under my Comanche, but I'm not 100% set on it. I was wondering what kind of lift would I able to use to fit these tires with zero rubbing.

PS: That damn D44 front in on that old jeep was heavy. :eek:

Treks (TNT Customs) offers a truss system for your axle to put it under a XJ/MJ. Probably the easiest option out there...

Ok, I just looked this "truss" thing up. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the off road modification world so I need some explaining. I thought this was going to require welding and custom fabrication and a lot more work. But this seems to be an easy way to use this front axle? Do I just buy this and go from there? lol sorry

Ok, I just looked this "truss" thing up. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the off road modification world so I need some explaining. I thought this was going to require welding and custom fabrication and a lot more work. But this seems to be an easy way to use this front axle? Do I just buy this and go from there? lol sorry

TNT will build you a truss based on what you do/don't want. You'll order it with "options"; so if you want the coil buckets (where the coils sit), the trackbar mounts, the shock mounts, control arm mounts, etc. etc...

The truss will come shipped to you built to your specs, you'll than have to weld the truss to your axle assembly. Once the truss is welded to the axle it will simply "bolt-in" to your MJ.

He's right, you'll need an '82+ front d44 from a Wagoneer to work with your current transfer case.

The TNT truss is a good option but they're pricey once you add all the brackets you need to bolt it into your MJ.

Check out brackets available from Ballistic Fab also, another affordable option to installing a d44 in your Jeep. http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Lin ... _1461.html

A downside to the Waggy d44 is the low pinion, I hit mine all the time in the rocks. I'm currently building two high pinion d44's for both my jeeps. If you're going through the trouble of adding all the brackets, you may as well do a little extra work and upgrade to a HP44 axle. Look for a late '70s Ford d44 from a 3/4t truck with leaf springs. The inner-C's will need cut from the axle and the axletubes narrowed. I'm cutting mine down to Wagoneer width so I can run OEM Waggy axleshafts, saving the cost of custom shafts. I'm doing it myself but a local 4wd shop quoted me $300 to narrow the axle, all the cutting and rewelding the inner-C's.

I pulled the D44a off the 78 Wagoner this week end, so it's at the shop now. I looked for a Ford 3/4 ton front D44 for a while and never got one. So I went ahead and got the Wagoner not knowing what complications I would be getting into. :help: :help:

Thanks for the information and explaining things. Please post all you can. Also, has anyone seen a MJ build where they welding leaf spring brackets to the front? That may be the way the guy at the shop is leaning to; I'm stopping by there this afternoon with the rear D44, I hope to discuss the transformation for the Front D44 and come to a final conclusion. But I want to use the Axle I have now because I already have it, lol. :redX: :redX:

Thanks a bunch,

Casey

The front frame wasn't designed for leafs and will need major bracing. Find a Bronco D44 high pinion. It's narrower than the full size truck one. Or get an '80 up FSJ axle (make sure it's non-vacuum) and sell the older RH drop one to a CJ guy. (it's close to the width of a CJ wide trac)

Anyone got a rear end for sale that fits good under the Comanche; has to be the same width as the 1978 Wagoner D44 front end? I just matched up the two axles I had and then I realized that the pumpkin on the rear isn't in the middle of the axle and I don't believe it'll fit.

If anyone has any guidance on this please let me know. I could scratch these axles and buy a 70s Ford Bronco, what axles are under it?

I'm near OKC and I'll buy the whole truck if it's the ford F250 1978/79 D44 front and D60 rear, that was my original dream, but I've had a lot of problems finding it.

1. THAT FRONT AXLE WILL NOT WORK UNLESS YOU CHANGE AT LEAST YOUR TRANSFER CASE! It is not an adjustment.

2. '80 & up front FSJ axles have the correct driver's drop

3. Ferds have the correct driver's drop

4. No matter what you will need to swap both axles or use adapters to get matching lug patterns front/rear

5. You can use an off-set FSJ rear D44 with a centered output t-case: jeep did it from the factory for years in manny trannied FSJ;s, like a T18/D20 combo. All that you need is th e proper driveshaft.

Your front swap should probably be put on hold until you get some more research under your belt.

1. THAT FRONT AXLE WILL NOT WORK UNLESS YOU CHANGE AT LEAST YOUR TRANSFER CASE! It is not an adjustment.

2. '80 & up front FSJ axles have the correct driver's drop

3. Ferds have the correct driver's drop

4. No matter what you will need to swap both axles or use adapters to get matching lug patterns front/rear

5. You can use an off-set FSJ rear D44 with a centered output t-case: jeep did it from the factory for years in manny trannied FSJ;s, like a T18/D20 combo. All that you need is th e proper driveshaft.

Your front swap should probably be put on hold until you get some more research under your belt.

1. You're right; I should put it on hold, and I will. Unless a miracle happens tomorrow. Only problem is my truck was 2WD and I just put a 4WD transmission and transfer case in it, so I thought I might as well get the front axle now. I'll look for the "easy" F250 3/4 ton Axles and when I find them I'll celebrate.

2. It seems that the Wagoner axle will fit, (it may be a different year) because it's drivers side drop and seems to be near the same place as the stock pumpkin, but what do I know lol.

It sounds like you need to do alot more research to even consider taking on something like this! Any particular reason you are swapping axles if you only plan on 33" tires??

I actually don't have a front axle. My truck was 2WD yesterday and now the new transmission is sitting on the table about to be put in. I don't mind staying with the stock axles, it's just I wanted it to be bigger. I may put a stock Comanche front end in it tomorrow and forget about the big stuff for now.

x2 on the XJ front axle.

for a rear axle that matches this new front one of yours, you can go with a mid-90s v6 Isuzu Rodeo rear Dana 44. it has disk brakes and a 4.10 or 4.30 gear ratio and is the same width and bolt pattern as the Wagoneer axle. you just need to swap the flange for a U-joint version.

x2 on the XJ front axle.

for a rear axle that matches this new front one of yours, you can go with a mid-90s v6 Isuzu Rodeo rear Dana 44. it has disk brakes and a 4.10 or 4.30 gear ratio and is the same width and bolt pattern as the Wagoneer axle. you just need to swap the flange for a U-joint version.

Thanks, I keep going back and fourth in my mind on what I am going to do. I can easily find a mid 90s Isuzu Rodeo in a local junk yard. and I can easily order a TNT Customs Truss for my front D44. If I do this can you post a few other upgrades I'll need? My friend at the shop that's helping me do it pointed to the control arms and told me I'll need to get new ones, more heavy duty ones, and he also asked me if I knew if the Truss came with control arm brackets, idk how else they would attach but I am still curious. I'll spend tomorrow looking stuff up.

Thanks again,

Casey

x2 on the XJ front axle.

Thanks, I keep going back and fourth in my mind on what I am going to do. I can easily find a mid 90s Isuzu Rodeo in a local junk yard. and I can easily order a TNT Customs Truss for my front D44. If I do this can you post a few other upgrades I'll need? My friend at the shop that's helping me do it pointed to the control arms and told me I'll need to get new ones, more heavy duty ones, and he also asked me if I knew if the Truss came with control arm brackets, idk how else they would attach but I am still curious. I'll spend tomorrow looking stuff up.

Thanks again,

Casey

What all are you planning to do with the truck?

What all are you planning to do with the truck?

Lift it enough to put 33"s tires so it will sit nice and ride great. I want the heavy duty axles for pulling out buddys and off road capabilities, and because I just want them. My main goal is to make it a nice ride, that the "wife" would ride in, and is well off road woods trails with rocks. I don't want to make it to high, maybe 4" of lift, enough to fit the tires under with no rubbing.

so I can order just the truss on TNT customs

Get yourself a decent lift kit then. :thumbsup: given any thought to SUA vs SOA yet?

Yes, I don't think SOA is necessary for the size tires I want. The MJ wasn't made for SOA so I've always put it out of my mind. Basically ill order what yall recommend, I'm no expert.

talk to HellCreek. he makes some 4.5" SUA leafs and mates them with appropriate front kits. Rough Country I think? not entirely sure, but his leafs have gotten nothing but good reviews. :thumbsup:

given any thought to long arms? I'm not sure what sort of budget you're contemplating.

talk to HellCreek. he makes some 4.5" SUA leafs and mates them with appropriate front kits. Rough Country I think? not entirely sure, but his leafs have gotten nothing but good reviews. :thumbsup:

given any thought to long arms? I'm not sure what sort of budget you're contemplating.

I'll check out HellCreek/Rough Country. I need guidance more than anything because even my shop isn't well experienced with the axle swap. I'll look up HellCreek right now and I emailed TNT Customs last night trying to get more info on their truss system for my Wagoner axle; haven't got a reply yet.

Also I have no idea about what the benifits are of having, what I believe you meant by "long arms" was having longer control arms.

Find a rear d44 from a mid '90s Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Passport, they have disc brakes and same 6-lug wheel pattern as the Waggy front axle. They make a great pair, been running them beneath my YJ and picked up another set for the MJ.

Do you have your build posted somewhere so I can look at your Front Wagoner D44 and Rear Isuzu D44 and mimic them for my project? I would need to show the shop too.

Thanks, :cheers:

Casey