Ball Joints

XJs4Ever

Yep its a beetch but someones gotta do it. And since a shop charges more than most MJs are worth, I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. I've done this job before but maybe this time I'll record it and post the how-to's here somewhere. The trucks got the DW's at 40mph and I've covered everything else. The shakes intensify with more outside offset rims that set the force more sideways on the joints than vertical and it only takes 1/1,000ths of an inch of play to put the 'DEATH' in death wobble.

I own the necessary tools and the parts I get at cost so $99 for the whole project uppers and lowers. I just hope I don't wreck the bearing hub assemblies pulling them out like I did the XJ. Probly will so this adventure may triple in cost before the weekends over.

Hows everybody doin? Lifes NOT good around here so I just don't have the casual time to hang out here like the good ol days. But I do think of you all constantly. The Moab trip with Pete in May 2005 was my last vacation. Havent had one since. Not even a three day weekend in four years for me but hey you get used to it.

I'll be back.... :typing:

To save the hubs, back the three 12mm bolts out 1/8" at a time and tap them with a hammer to force the hub from the knuckle. Cover the bolt heads with a socket when striking them so you don't booger them up too bad.

As for the balljoints, use a good balljoint press and when they're under tension you can strike the side of the C around the balljoint with a BFH to help them pop loose. Strike at a 90º angle to the balljoint to temporarily egg-shape the hole and break loose the corrosion. Same method works great for TRE's.

To save the hubs, back the three 12mm bolts out 1/8" at a time and tap them with a hammer to force the hub from the knuckle. Cover the bolt heads with a socket when striking them so you don't booger them up too bad.

Good idea. I never tried that. She's an '89 and these are the original joints so i've basically accepted the fact that this will SUCK from start to finish. As always, everything gets nevr-seized all over as it goes back on. You may be in there again someday.

Hey Rick-man, good to hear from you after all these years. :D I know life gets in the way sometimes, but try to take a few minutes out to check in here and say hey. :cheers:

I shall certainly try my friend.

Well the pass side is done hell it took me four hours for the one side! That dude can do em in 3 hrs well A- he's superman or B- he has a shop, air, and all the best tools or C- his stuff is new and not rusted tight or D- hes dang lucky or E-all the above but 4hrs a side is not far from the shop quotes.

I destroyed my ball joint press and am using a rental now. Neither have receiver cups to fit Jeeps so I made one out of a coupler for 1.5" chain link fence poles. You'll see the pics when I get them posted.

whatta nightmare. damn jeeps :wall:

Also could not replace the sleeves for the lower joints you know that the stud end goes in for the steering knuckle? Must be some special tool to remove those and I aint got one so the originals stayed behind.

Also could not replace the sleeves for the lower joints you know that the stud end goes in for the steering knuckle? Must be some special tool to remove those and I aint got one so the originals stayed behind.

Yes there is a special tool and adjusting this sleeve is essential for the correct preload in the steering knuckle.