diesel comanche mpg compared to the Renix....?

dunl

Original Diesel Comanches are SOOOOOOO rare, that having this discussion is somewhat ridiculous. JeepcoMJ has documented fewer than 30 remaining examples. And their power is well known as being extrememly underwhelming and reliability very poor. Now if you are talking about converting one to diesel, then it depends on what diesel you use as a donor. Those type of swaps usually require you to spend cubic dollars in order to get a good result, and at that point fuel economy is not a concern. Now if you just want to know so you can expand your knowledge of our wonderful truck.... then more power to you! You just won't get any of that power from a diesel! :thumbsup:

Don't take this the wrong way guys, but interest in something from an academic standpoint doesn't make it a moot point. :cheers:

I'm interested in them as I have a 3.0 5 cyl Merc engine, and wanted to compare the original turbodiesel to the gas version..the possibility of moving to a 3.0, this gives me some idea as to what a swap might produce.

So Pat..not much torque compared to a normal diesel....how about compared to a gasser? :dunno: More, or equal?

85hp, 132 foot pounds of torque.

So less hp than any other engine, and the same amount of torque as the 84/85 carbureted 2.5l in the Cherokees. Any other engine put in the Cherokee/Comanche from 86 onward including the TBI 2.5 makes more torque.

Hmmm...so in their stock form, they have a little less torque than a 2.5. I guess that'd be okay for offroading, but the OM617 (the 79 that I have anyway, OM617.50) has 110bhp, 168ft-lbf torque.

But then I'd have to swap it in, build an adaptor, etc.

Oh, and I did some research on here as well...you poor guys don't have many of these, while up here in Canada there's a few kicking around. Parts, of course, to keep them running might be ludicrous, seeing as sometimes we have problems finding aftermarket items and now even common items in some cases up here.

Supposedly only about 50 were sold in the US. Parts had to be modified for it to fit the Cherokee (and Comanche), and after the Chrysler take-over Renault quit producing those custom parts. They do still sell parts for related engines that may or may not bolt on. But without Renault dealers in the US they have to be ordered from Europe or Mexico.

Even in Europe parts are getting hard to find. I came across a few posts from someone in Italy who has five Cherokees with that motor. Two drivers and 3 parts trucks. And even then he has had to custom make some parts himself to keep the two running.

Works just fine offroad, once you get used to the total lack of power before the turbo spools up. And they are easy to tune up a bit for that little extra omph, don't know if they can take it in the long run. Time will show..... :shake:

I'm interested in them as I have a 3.0 5 cyl Merc engine, and wanted to compare the original turbodiesel to the gas version..the possibility of moving to a 3.0, this gives me some idea as to what a swap might produce.

Swap out? Do it do it do it! :thumbsup: That Merc motor is awesome, it would be great in an MJ, good torque/power & it's a fuel miser (mine gets +40/Gal in DD mode). They're also bullet proof, plenty of reports of half million milers.

Looking forward to the build thread ;)