my latest toy

aemsee

Neat - I like it. As long as you properly winterize that bike and don't let the crappy ethanol gasoline gum up the carbs, you'll have thousands of cheap, reliable miles out of that guy.

I threw in the towel on my carb'ed bike after I completely disassembled them and ultrasonically cleaned them (to the point where you could eat off them) four times in two years. Replaced it with a 1000cc fuel injected bike. It has some get up and go ;)

Neat - I like it. As long as you properly winterize that bike and don't let the crappy ethanol gasoline gum up the carbs, you'll have thousands of cheap, reliable miles out of that guy.

I threw in the towel on my carb'ed bike after I completely disassembled them and ultrasonically cleaned them (to the point where you could eat off them) four times in two years. Replaced it with a 1000cc fuel injected bike. It has some get up and go ;)

I've had carbed bikes constantly for years and never had to go through that crap. As long as you take them and ride in rain, shine, snow, or ice at least once a month for a 10 miles or so, you'll be okay. Fill up in the fall w. quality non-ethanol, apply some Stabil, and ride 'em. Starting them up in the garage ain't gonna work. But if you don't want to ride in nasty weather, pull the carb(s), drain completely, blow all the fuel out w. compressed air, then park it.

don't know of any stations around here with non-ethanol fuel anymore. may have to try the ethanol remover additive. just talked to a guy with a non running 76 KZ400 for sale as a parts bike. should be able to snag it for $150. from the pics it looks to be in as good condition as mine. he just doesn't have a title for it. but it has electric start and mine is kick only.

I will most likely be keeping it at work over the winter (heated shop) so I will be able to run it around whenever the roads are dry. I rode my last bike all winter that way (albeit 20 yrs ago) :D .

already found a Kawi twin forum similar to CC. Very well run with good folks. was on there two days and someone gave me a owners manual and shipped it NC.

don't know of any stations around here with non-ethanol fuel anymore.

Yea, that's the problem - I don't know of any either. I should have just pulled the carbs, drained them and stored them off the bike, but I rode them 1-2 per month during the winter when we'd have those freak warm days. The particular bike I was taking about was a Yamaha Maxim X 750cc that has very finicky carbs. I have another, older Yamaha Maxim that has been sitting for about 2 years completely untouched. Put a new battery in it last week, filled it with gas and it fired right up and ran okay. :dunno: