How rare is a factory sunroof/what are replacements

So on the first trip since the brakes were fixed, my sunroof decided to say goodbye. I was going down the highway and it flew off the roof, frame and all. I need to know how rare these are and if theres a compatible replacement. I know the jy nearby has 3 MJs, but i don't want to go an hour to find nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had an 85 XJ with a factory sunroof,

seems like they were more common in earlier XJ/MJ's than later ones.

If you lost 'everything' (including the sunroof frame), I'd think about blocking the hole up, or swapping in a more modern sunroof replacement.

So on the first trip since the brakes were fixed, my sunroof decided to say goodbye. I was going down the highway and it flew off the roof, frame and all. I need to know how rare these are and if theres a compatible replacement. I know the jy nearby has 3 MJs, but i don't want to go an hour to find nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Three MJ's a whole hour away huh??? Dude, it takes me that long just to drive across town where all the j/y's are so an hour sounds local to me. I'd be in Manche heaven if I could find one MJ only an hour away much less three.

I worked in the new car make ready dept at an AMC dealership for several years during the late 70's. Back then when those little pop up sun roofs became so popular they were a dealer option installed by an outside vendor. We'd either take the cars to them or they'd come to the dealership to do several at a time. Best bet is gonna be to measure the hole and try to find one that'll fit.

How big is your hole? :rotf: Here's a 15"x30" that might work for ya. That was a popular size for small cars/trucks.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/sunroof/p20019 ... id=c2634j1

how about perusing the local junk yard for any tilty sunroof that will fit. I grabbed a good sized sunroof (frame and glass all in one) out of I think a KIA and there was another out of a Corolla I think. and also one out of a GM car. the KIA was pretty big and I plan on putting it in the roof of the topper on my MJ bed trailer.

AFAIK, MJ sunroofs were a dealer installed option only, are not listed in the parts manual. There were however for the XJs, ZJs, and Wagoneers, both pop-ups and electrics that were true factory options. The MJ dealer installed sunroofs were 15" x 30" pop-up models. They were manufactured by CRL (CR Lawrence) and are still available, basically the same with some slight bracket and glass changes. I had mine installed by a local guy who installed them in many MJs for the local Jeep dealers back in the day.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14757&p=149155&hilit=crl#p149155

Thanks everybody. This being my first Comanche I'm not sure what all is dealer optional vs stock vs a factory option package etc. I ended up finding a sunroof out of an 82-93 Chevy Blazer. Its slightly bigger than my previous one, so a little cutting is in order.