rear axle question for dana 35

i have been a member of this site for only about 4mo. let me start by saying thank you to everyone who posts tips and tricks it helps alot. my question is i have a 88 comanche renix 4.0 2wd with the peugot crappy tranny long bed. i just got the truck on the road after alot of work that it needed. going down the road the rear driverside tire and rim move in and out like a 1/4 in. almost like the rim is bent, i have already have changed the rim and tire and it still does the wiggle down the road. there are no noises coming from the rear end that i can hear while driving and the rear end is not hopping while going down the road ? i have jacked up the truck and tried to wiggle the tire and rim by hand and it seems to give just a slight bit, while pulling it back and forth. my question is does this sound like a bad wheel bearing or a bent axle. i have a brand new wheel bearing already. i bought it because it was only 22.00. any help would be nice thanks in advance

Put the rear axle up on jack stands, start the engine, and let it idle in first gear. See if the wheel wobbles. It could be just a bent rim. If the wheel wobbles, take off the wheel and repeat with only the brake drum in place -- see if the brake drum wobbles. If the drum wobbles, remove the drum and check just the flange.

You look for a new axle only if the flange wobbles.

I'd junkyard em, no way would I pay that kind of cash for an axleshaft. I can get d35 shafts all day for 15 bucks or so here.

You could put a whole new axle in, including welding new brackets on, for 150 or so, and it would be an upgrade because the 35 is unfortunately about the worst axle they ever put in the XJ/MJ series.

Yours is an 89/older, so I believe your d35 is a non c clip one, remember that when junkyarding shafts or planning to replace it.

If shopping for new shafts for a Dana 35 axle, don't forget that from '84 (XJ only) through '89 they did not use a c-clip retainer, they were retained by a flange at the outer end. From 1990 through 2001 they used a c-clip retainer. They are not interchangeable.

Aren't 84-85 shafts 2 piece shafts as well and should be avoided?

no, that's regular amc20's (NOT comanche amc20's...those are 1 piece)

Pretty sure I remember posts about 84-85 D35 shafts being 2 piece.

You may remember such a post but, if there was one, I believe it was in error. Simple test -- if it's a 2-piece (with the hub splined onto the shaft like the old CJ axles), there will be a nut holding the flange on. No nut = 1-piece axle.