Turn Signal Indicator Stays On

This started yesterday (or at some point since I last had the headlights/running lights on). When you pull the headlight switch to either running lights or headlights the cluster, etc lights up but the right turn signal indicator in the cluster comes on as well. I don't see any bulbs out and the flasher pulses both left and right turn signals ok. My first thought was a bad bulb but both front and rear signals seem ok as viewed from outside the truck. Ideas?

I had this same problem about a year ago, and it was a ground in the front headlight harness that was bad. I tried replacing sockets to no avail, and found out it is easier to just replace the entire headlight harness than to replace a socket. Its just one connector on the drivers side by the airbox, then the whole harness is can be pulled with the header panel, and then you just plug the new harness into the old bulbs and sockets. If you have a known good new or used harness, it will rule out that problem quite quickly and pain free.

• 13 years later...

Dropping in 13 years later to say that after having the always-on turn-signal indicators in my 1987 MJ for many years, I finally got around to swapping out the two front turn signal sockets/harnesses and that fixed the problem. The ground on one of the old ones was very clearly rusted all the way through (the rust had eaten all the way through and the prong was loose/broken). I checked the indicators after changing each harness and I could see that it resolved the always-on issue one at a time. 

I used these ones by Doorman. The Autozone computer system said it wouldn't fit my vehicle, but they did. However, on the driver's side, it did require a little bit of force to get the headlamp housing to fit back into place and lineup with the screw fastener holes.

I'm going to make a TikTok about it.

• 4 months later...