1986 Comanche ADVISE please

May be able to get an 86 comanche for around $400. runs but needs clutch work. 4x2, 4 cyl., LWB, body in great shape.

I really want a 4x4, 4.0, but came across this. How difficult would it be to make the 86 a 4.0, 4x4??

Should I just keep looking??

Thanks for any advise!!

86 firewall isnt to nice for excepting 4.0s (IIRC) but the 4x4 swap would be simple with a good donor. I have a 4 banger and its not to bad with the right gears and such and plus its hard to find a MJ with a good body so I say go for it.

Cole

if it is late enough in the year then it can take a 4.0 with little mods (rad bars and stuff) nuthing to the firewall. but as long as you don't get a 2.8 that is not running right then anything will work with the correct gears and stuff. the 2.5 is a good engine just not as fast as the 4.0 for the most part. i say go for it. i miss my 86 because it had selec-trac and no rust. i say if the body and frame is good then get it and throw selec-trac stuff under it for a 4x4 swap.

Alex

If I already owned the 86 and had become attached to it, then I might attempt a 4.0L swap. But I personally would not seek out an 86 to put a 4.0L in. But then, that truck is cheap enough that I would find it hard not to buy it and fix it to drive while I continued looking for a 4.0L truck. :D

But then, that truck is cheap enough that I would find it hard not to buy it and fix it to drive while I continued looking for a 4.0L truck. :D

thats what i did with my 86 even if it did have the 2.8 it was still my fav truck out of the three so far. idk why but i really liked it. who knows. and the 2wd on these things work better then most other trucks 4wd systems so it would be good how it is really. if you want an MJ get the 86 for now if you can't find a 4.0 in your price range.

Alex

Hey Alex, Do you know the breking point on the date of the '86 comanche that has the room for the 4.0? I've got the 2.5L and you're right,not a bad motor. It's turnin' my 32's just fine,just not the power of my cherokee. Too attached to my comanche to let it go. It's in the project forum. Getting ready to modify wheel wells.

KO :chillin:

Hey Alex, Do you know the breking point on the date of the '86 comanche that has the room for the 4.0? I've got the 2.5L and you're right,not a bad motor. It's turnin' my 32's just fine,just not the power of my cherokee. Too attached to my comanche to let it go. It's in the project forum. Getting ready to modify wheel wells.

Time for a gear change. :D

F/R but soon to not have the rear if someone wants it....I hate having it on the street so Ill put the money I make from it to get an 8.8 with LSD for now till I go to My true desire of full case lockers and a 9" rear and something nice up front to match with mid 5 gears so I CAN use 5th.

Cole

BTW Pete, what mod did you do to your front wells? Can't decide to remove flares & cut n trim,go with cut and tj flares,or someone said cut and raise existing,tho i don't have the lower body trim to blend into.

KO

I didn't do much to the front wells. Basically I just cut the front portion off level with the top of the bumper. The tires on the other hand, have done a great job of smashing the rear of the fender. :roll: But I have the wide Ford axles (with a different scrub radius etc) and your experience will be different. Make sure you lengthen the bumpstop to keep the tire out of the top of the flare.

sry forgot to check this topic for awhile. but no i am not sure on the cut off for the room to fit the 4.0L. just get a build sheet and see how late in the year it was. it got switched over once they had plans for the 4.0 in 87. sort of a half year truck. still had the 86 options and packages and things but 87 body mods.

Alex