My first post

1987MJfreak!

Today I finally got to take my MJ off road. I could not believe the pulling power of the front end. it felt like it was trying to pull my truck in half! All I can say is WOW! I just bought my MJ from a friend for $1,000. it has 172,000 miles on it and the only things I have done to it is remove the tailgate and install a tail gate net and installed brand new 23575R15 wild cat mud tires. It has the 4.0 L inline 6 cylinder. NP 207 transfer case and the DANA 35C rear end. I have never owned a jeep before but I am now officially a comanche freak! I love this truck. i just can't believe how well a 19 year old truck with the stock motor and almost no modifications has stood the test of time. the jeep comanche was truely designed to last no doubt about it!.

it should have a NP231 t-case, you sure its a 207?

and yeah, i too am a Manche FREAK now.

took mine offroad a little today i was amazed at how much i could do limited to 2wd (front u-joints are just about to blow so i abstain from 4x4)

blasted through some stuff that a bunch of chevys were strugglin with in 4 wheel... :D :D nothin better than showin up a chevy :popcorn:

ps.. welcome to the club!

Well i Havent got to actually look at the T-case yet but according my chilton it says that my 87 has the 207. i would be very pleased to find out that my MJ had the 231. Either way i could not be more please with my MJ.

It 'should' be a 231. The 207 was in the YJ that year, but not the MJ. You can crawl under there and look at the tag on it. Its a circular metal tag and its right in the middle of the case.

Yeah, it'll be a NP231.

Oh, and you have a D35 axle actually, not a D35C. That's a good thing (not a great thing, or anything, but a D35 is better than a D35C) Unless you have a metric ton, in which case you got a D44...

i "think" i had the 35C in mine but i took the shafts out and junk yarded the housing after i put the 8.25 in.

Yeah, it'll be a NP231.

Oh, and you have a D35 axle actually, not a D35C. That's a good thing (not a great thing, or anything, but a D35 is better than a D35C) Unless you have a metric ton, in which case you got a D44...

The C stands for Custom, not C-Clip. Dana calls any axle they ship unfinished 'Custom'. So all that means is that Jeep finished the assembly on the axles.

Yeah, it'll be a NP231.

The C stands for Custom, not C-Clip. Dana calls any axle they ship unfinished 'Custom'. So all that means is that Jeep finished the assembly on the axles.

But, the later D35s were D35Cs... Yes, the c-clip versions. Even though C did not stand for c-clip.

At least, that's how I understood it. I don't really care as I don't do anything with D35s. Although, I might take the one out of my XJ and make it into some weird art work.