POR-15 floor pan repair?

Here's the mess I found yesterday when I pulled out the flooring.

John,

the POR15 will encase the rust, and hopefully keep it from spreading, but the rust on MJ floors starts under that brace running through the center of the floor (on top of the 'frame' rail).

Even if you seal the floors, and the top of the brace, it's gonna keep spreading up, and down the floor that's sandwiched between the 'frame' rail, and that brace.

I think POR15'ing it will put things off a little, but the floor is still gonna disolve under that brace, where you can't POR it.

Either way, good luck,

Jimmy

John,

the POR15 will encase the rust, and hopefully keep it from spreading, but the rust on MJ floors starts under that brace running through the center of the floor (on top of the 'frame' rail).

Even if you seal the floors, and the top of the brace, it's gonna keep spreading up, and down the floor that's sandwiched between the 'frame' rail, and that brace.

I think POR15'ing it will put things off a little, but the floor is still gonna disolve under that brace, where you can't POR it.

Either way, good luck,

Jimmy

that is exactly the area we cut out and replaced saturday. above the brace for the pass seat.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to pop the cable end out of the pedal arm (little barrel-end fits in a groove), and it ain't easy. If you're replacing it, I'd just cut it and save yourself the hassle. It's not in a very convenient spot to work on :headpop: Getting the new cable end inserted is no picnic, either.

You can buy replacement cables at any of the usual parts houses. Just specify it's the FRONT cable, and either SB or LB (they're different sizes). I got mine from Advance Auto for something like $15.

Jeff

edit: also, when you run the new cable in, make sure you run it through that little hole cutout there in that brace....I forgot to, then fought with getting the cable end in the holder for so long I refused to pop it back out so I could rerun the cable. Mine now runs along the rocker/doorsill area :oops:

You have to pop the cable end out of the pedal arm (little barrel-end fits in a groove), and it ain't easy. If you're replacing it, I'd just cut it and save yourself the hassle. It's not in a very convenient spot to work on :headpop: Getting the new cable end inserted is no picnic, either.

You can buy replacement cables at any of the usual parts houses. Just specify it's the FRONT cable, and either SB or LB (they're different sizes). I got mine from Advance Auto for something like $15.

Jeff

edit: also, when you run the new cable in, make sure you run it through that little hole cutout there in that brace....I forgot to, then fought with getting the cable end in the holder for so long I refused to pop it back out so I could rerun the cable. Mine now runs along the rocker/doorsill area :oops:

Thanks mjeff87, I think I will just cut the old one off and buy a new one.

Any POR-15 experts know if it is bad to use it when it is around 55º out side?

• 3 weeks later...
Bling bling! Truck's comin together in an awesome manner, :thumbsup:

Thanks. I can't wait to get her done! :D

I took some pics of the POR-15 black. It turned out ok. It will look alot better when I get the Herculiner on her this weekend.

POR-15 is some tough stuff! :bowdown:

WAIT!!

don't USE HRECULINER!!

IT WILL HIDE THE RUST THAT WILL COME BACK, EVEN WITH THE POR15.

YOU ARE BETTER OFF NOT TO COAT THE FLOOR AND JUST LET THE POR15 BE.

You could mix some friction additive into the POR15 like sand and coat with that.

There are places that you could not get paint like under that tin piece that covers that frame rail.

That will rust from the inside out and with Herculiner covering the POR15 you won't know till it is too late.!!

:agree:

saw that happen on a friends truck. he coated his floorboards in his c-10 with por-15 then rhino lined and thought it would last him for the rest of his life. but his floor was gone within 5 years. the best way to cover por-15 with something so you have grip is just get a rubber mat. or put some grip tape down on top of it. just don't cover you floor with bed liner unless you take your time and COVER every inch of the floor with por-15 and make sure no factory paint or metal is showing.

Alex

WAIT!!

don't USE HRECULINER!!

IT WILL HIDE THE RUST THAT WILL COME BACK, EVEN WITH THE POR15.

YOU ARE BETTER OFF NOT TO COAT THE FLOOR AND JUST LET THE POR15 BE.

You could mix some friction additive into the POR15 like sand and coat with that.

There are places that you could not get paint like under that tin piece that covers that frame rail.

That will rust from the inside out and with Herculiner covering the POR15 you won't know till it is too late.!!

I hate rust! :headpop:

Thanks for the advice, I think I will just get a carpet kit, it's alot easier to put in anyhow. :D

Plus I need something around my center console, it has at least a half inch gap and looks like total sheet.

Wow, that console looks nicer than I remember.

Definitely don't leave it without some sort of traction though. I almost fell out of one of my trucks tonight cause the floor got icey. On the other hand, you're in TX...

your floor freezes too? some mornings I have frost on my gauges and when my roof leaked, icicles on my steering wheel.

Wow, that console looks nicer than I remember.

Definitely don't leave it without some sort of traction though. I almost fell out of one of my trucks tonight cause the floor got icey. On the other hand, you're in TX...

your floor freezes too? some mornings I have frost on my gauges and when my roof leaked, icicles on my steering wheel.

Ice? Frozen?

All that stuff is in the freezer with the Ice cream! :D

I haven't had to deal with Ice or snow since I moved from New York. Brrrrrr.gif

I own Vortex Brand spray on truck bedliner equipment.

My vendor sells a product called granitex. It is a 2 part finish, that can be sprinkled with paint chips for good looks, and a friction additive can be added to eliminate slippage of your feet. It is a really great product, and since it is 2 parts the chemical reaction forces 99.999% of the moisture off of surface when you apply it. I put the coating in the floor of my buddy's XJ after he had several patches welded in.

I did herculiner in my 1995 XJ. Biggest mistake in the world!! I think that it actually caused places to rust out faster by trapping moisture. Stuff Sucks in my opinion. It has been in my Jeep for 6 years. I am going to replace the drivers side rear floor board (above converter) and when I have the interior torn apart, I am going to strip the entire floor of the herculiner and re-coat it with POR 15 and Granitex.

Anyhow... Good luck with the rest of your project.

AARON

It comes in regula paint cans.

They package 1/2 gallon of the resin in 1 gallon can, and the activator comes in a plastic jug. You mix the 2 together at a 50/50 ratio and then apply it.

The make application equipment for this material but it does not work well. It is best to apply it with those disposable foam paint brushes. It drys pretty smooth, and if you sprinkle the flakes on it, then it really looks good.

I have to get updated prices on the product as I have not orderd any in six months. It comes in about 25 colors, and there are about 5 or 6 different chip colors. I am going to do the floor of my MJ with the product as soon as the weather breaks. After that time, I'll post update price info and photos of the job.