needing help

I just bought a 1989 jeep comanche i love it! Awsome and real tough, but the problem i am having is i have to check the break fluid every other day cuz it runs out no puddles anywhere to be seen. When i bought the truck i was told the clutch was replaced. Please help, thanks!

Are you talking about the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder or the clutch master cylinder? If you're loosing fluid out of the clutch master, it's either leaking out of the slave cylinder (check the bottom of the bellhousing for fluid) or else out of the back of the clutch master itself. Look up under the dash above the fuse panel, and see if there's fluid pushing out the back...if it is, clean it off the fuse block ASAP. It will destroy it, and the fuses in it, and you'll end up with an electrical nightmare.

HTH,

Jeff

That fill up device is the master cylinder for the clutch (it's hydraulic, not cable or rod activated). The system takes DOT3 brake fluid, the same as what you put in the brake master, but they are two seperate systems. They do not share fluid. Where do you see the leakage at?

So, it is your clutch master that's loosing fluid, not the brake right?

Any leak is not good. If it's leaking @ the back, check the line that runs to the slave where it connects to the master....it should be regular steel line with a flarenut fitting that screws into the back/top of the cylinder. Make sure it's tight (use a good flarenut wrench on it so you don't round it off). Also, follow that line down to the tranny and check that it's still all intact and not leaking. There's a stock rubber piece of hose that splices into the steel line, and it runs very close to the exhaust, back along the firewall. Make sure it hasn't abraded or melted and isn't leaking fluid.

Jeff

my clutch went out when the hose split. After 20 years I guess it's apt to do that.

Replacement hose is available at NAPA, cost me $28 and it's a special order part. You'll need to know what trans you have, the hose is different for the BA-10 and the AX-15. Being that you've got an 89 you could have either, as it was the changeover year.

thanks everyone you guys are awsome ill have pic and such later on after i do some mods and get a few things fixed i just have 1 more question does jeep have a motto ex( chevy: Like A Rock, Ford: Built Ford Tough ( hahah yea right ) sorry if there is any ford guys in here :cheers:

its a jeep thing you wouldnt understand.

Just Empty Every Pocket (not sure thats a good one)

i think jeep is just to cool for a motto... its a Jeep.

(we should make up a motto something like,

my jeep is parked offroad, and not becuase it broke down.. or something.)

its a jeep thing you wouldnt understand.

Just Empty Every Pocket (not sure thats a good one)

i think jeep is just to cool for a motto... its a Jeep.

(we should make up a motto something like,

my jeep is parked offroad, and not becuase it broke down.. or something.)

i like that. but jeeps motto is the whole jeep logo of the wranglers grille, headlights, and windsheild that says "only in a jeep 4x4". back when these were built though it was still "only in a jeep" but there were a few others used for different vehicles. like the newer J-trucks was "make sure you're serious". the older gladiators was "the beautiful brute". the jeep racin one was "jeep: built to conquer". the main ones used for the MJ was "its easy to be a truck. hard to be a jeep." or "the legend lives on" IIRC. but there have been a ton of em.

Alex