project driveway

mjeff87

Boy, did I pick a project for the weekend :nuts: Decided to finally redo my aging driveway....my wife ran into the timbers on her (left) side one too many times, and the MJ has been doing it's own version of the Exxon Valdez for the last couple years on my side :mad:

The next time anyone hears me say the words, "Hey, I think I'll redo the driveway this weekend" hit me in the head. Very hard. So hard that you knock me out and I don't wake up until three days later, and I have to eat through a straw for 2 months.......This little project took me ALL weekend. Replaced the landscape timbers on the left side (16 of them), powerwashed everything, troweled in 3 buckets of cold patch, sealed all the cracks and perimeter with 2 buckets of crack sealer, put three (yes...three) coats of stain/sealer on the landscape timbers, and used 3 buckets of driveway sealer.

Totals were about $120 in materials, $25 in beer, and a $5 bottle of Aleve.

Now I gotta put some kind of drip pan under the Jeep, or else park it on the side street.

Jeff

Image Not Found

so when the Comanche decides to leek it's blood either now or someday

There ain't no someday about it.....it marks it's territory now. No seals or gaskets that are leaking, but I have so much blowby that it actually pushes oil back out of the fill cap in the VC (and into the airbox as well, like any other good Jeep :D ) It runs down the VC and block behind the alternator, then back along the oil pan lip and drips off at the back of the engine. It does a real good impersonation of a leaking RMS.....

Jeff

you ever tried this idead for the exxon valdez blow-by?

take the hose that feeds blowby into the airbox, put the end of it into a qt bottle of oil (don't seal it, air needs to be able to get in/out of the hose) and empty it when it fills? thats what my brother does on his XJ. blows about a qt every 3 days depending on how much driving

I had to upgrade to the gallon jug. :D The smaller containers just filled too quickly. It's less of a problem now since that truck doesn't see freeway travels under it's own power, but on the trip out to Moab, I was spewing out oil at an alarming rate. And no, I didn't pour the black nasty oil back in the truck. I had spare oil with me.

I'm actually planning on using the blowby to my advanage, when I get my OBA rigged up. I figure why use an inline oiler when I can just reroute the airbox line to the suction side of the compressor :D It oughta oil it just fine.....

Jeff

blowby is just worn piston rings, right? Ive got a bit of a problem where it sucks it right into the air filter, but, I've been letting the mj idle for upwards of 5 hrs in the driveway... not a drop of fresh oil in the air box.

5hrs?!?! what on earth for?

and I'm proud to say that my jeep can idle that long too...

cause 3 months ago it couldnt idle more than 2 minutes.

also, it's not just blowby, it's the silly CCV system getting plugged and reversing direction.

Do a compression test, if you've got good numbers and the difference between a wet cylinder and a dry cylinder isn't too much replace the CCV harness and I bet the problem goes away.

I had my airbox pull so much oil in it leaked all into the fender well. I guess that's what happens when you forget to plug that aft vacuum hose back in :dunce:

When I redid my driveway I left a couple of pits with stone in them that I park over... Lets face it the RMS is a b*@$£ in all jeeps and it will leak if it doesnt already... the 2x3 patch of stone under my engine is great.. and when I work o the jeep I throw a sheet of plywood over it to save my back

blowby is just worn piston rings, right? Ive got a bit of a problem where it sucks it right into the air filter, but, I've been letting the mj idle for upwards of 5 hrs in the driveway... not a drop of fresh oil in the air box.

5hrs?!?! what on earth for?

and I'm proud to say that my jeep can idle that long too...

cause 3 months ago it couldnt idle more than 2 minutes.

'Cause I can! <- I answer with that when someone asks me why I own a 'manche :D

it wouldn't start when I got it, and had a half-tank of stale gas, so once I got it running, I proped the throttle open to about 1/4 so it wouldn't idle down and die, and burned off all that gas. Filled it with a fresh tank, full battery charge, a nice clean throttle body, new plugs wires and an oil change and she runs like new.