trailer wire adapter

I could not find one. I just spliced in to the rear harness. Be sure you do it correctly, with a soldering gun, dielectric grease and shrink tubing. Strip all wires, slide on a piece of shrink tubing, twist together and solder them. Bright is tite. Allow to cool and slide shrink tubing over connection and heat again. At least good electric tape and shielding for the new wires then cover that with more tape at the ends when your done. attach it securely to cross-members so nothing grabs it on the road. Lastly pick a good grounding spot and clean the steel well before attaching the wire with dielectric grease to stop corrosion. For sanity's sake, run a ground wire on the trailer instead of relying on just the ball for your ground.

CW

I used to be an avid fan-user of black electrical tape. Used it for everything. Always hated the way it would start unwrapping as it got older. Tried everything, Tiewrap, making a loop and running the end back under it. Found a product called 'Liquid tape' at Wally's. You put it on with a brush and completely cover the splice. Works great. have several joints over a year old and exposed to the elements still as good as new. Highly recommend it. Jim

Any reason you can not use the 7 prong plug and harness from a Cherokee?

I was planning to go that route and get the welded on bracket to hold the 7 pin plug. The old trailer harness put on in 1991 was falling a part causing all kind of electrical problems.

Lot easier to find a Cherokee than a Comanche, much less a Comanche with a proper trailer harness.

• 3 weeks later...
Any reason you can not use the 7 prong plug and harness from a Cherokee?

I was planning to go that route and get the welded on bracket to hold the 7 pin plug. The old trailer harness put on in 1991 was falling a part causing all kind of electrical problems.

Lot easier to find a Cherokee than a Comanche, much less a Comanche with a proper trailer harness.

Any input on this idea?

I used to be an avid fan-user of black electrical tape. Used it for everything. Always hated the way it would start unwrapping as it got older. Tried everything, Tiewrap, making a loop and running the end back under it. Found a product called 'Liquid tape' at Wally's. You put it on with a brush and completely cover the splice. Works great. have several joints over a year old and exposed to the elements still as good as new. Highly recommend it. Jim

Good black tape is 3M Super 33 plus. It sticks great, works below zero(still sticky and flexable). It is also extra thick and stretches out great. It also stays wrapped unless your hands are dirty or real sweaty. ;)

Use heat shrink that has hot glue inside that creates a weatherproof seal. I bought a bag of it from Mopar years ago. I have found is in a few other sizes to fit from 20 gauge wire to 2/0 wire. :brows:

:cheers:

cherokee connectors are different.

The end that plugs into the trailer isn't...

Unless you have the XJ 5-way connector that has power for back-up lights.

Most Cherokee have seperate turnsignals so a converter is used in the trailer harness on them. Just make your own harness.

I use a relay for the taillights and brakes/turnsignal since some trailers have a ton of lights. It takes the load off the switches and protects your truck wiring. :thumbsup: