brake reservoir and master cylinder problem

I had to replace my brake hoses a few weeks ago on the front and at the time bled them and the pedal felt decent. Since then the pedal has gotten more spongy to almost no resistance. I tried to bleed the brakes again and was getting nothing out at the calipers. The reservoir was full of fluid to the max. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I opened up the reservoir that sits on top of the master cylinder and the bigger tank on the rear was bone dry. I refilled that with fluid and bled some more with great results, however got to a point again when nothing was coming out of the calipers, and most puzzling of all the brake fluid in the plastic reservoir hadn't moved at all!

I'm assuming it's plugged up somewhere and the rear tank in the master cylinder is empty again (since it didn't fill with fluid from the reservoir). What is the best way to get it unplugged and is there a common area that does get plugged up or a common procedure for this? Thanks.

I think you've got a different problem than I had. If one of the sections of the master cylinder is running out of fluid you have a leak somewhere. Check all of you lines, connections, proportioning valve, etc. for leaks. The fluid has to be disappearing somewhere.

Willy

I had to replace my brake hoses a few weeks ago on the front and at the time bled them and the pedal felt decent. Since then the pedal has gotten more spongy to almost no resistance. I tried to bleed the brakes again and was getting nothing out at the calipers. The reservoir was full of fluid to the max. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I opened up the reservoir that sits on top of the master cylinder and the bigger tank on the rear was bone dry. I refilled that with fluid and bled some more with great results, however got to a point again when nothing was coming out of the calipers, and most puzzling of all the brake fluid in the plastic reservoir hadn't moved at all!

I'm assuming it's plugged up somewhere and the rear tank in the master cylinder is empty again (since it didn't fill with fluid from the reservoir). What is the best way to get it unplugged and is there a common area that does get plugged up or a common procedure for this? Thanks.

Time out.

Are you asking about a 1988 MJ, the one in your signature? If so, please clue us in on what changes you have made to the brakes, because what you are describing is NOT a 1988 Comanche master cylinder.

What eagle said is right, if it has a PLASTIC resevoir then somewhere along the way someone changed the booster and master to a newer style. The fluid has to be going somewhere. Maybe whoever switched the booster put the lines from the master to the prop valve on wrong and now your rear resevoir is now feeding your rear brakes instead of the front. If this is the case, then the leak may be a rear line or a bad wheel cylinder.

I know the fittings are different sizes but if they used the old fittings and flared new lines they may have mixed up the fitings.

is it a stick? is he maybe confusing the reservoir of the clutch with the reservoir of the brakes?

That was my thought.

As the little killer 'bot said in that movie, Short Circuit -- "Need more data."

D'oh.

You guys are right I was mistaking those two things. This is my first M/T jeep and I figured since it said DOT3 Brake fluid on the cap that that was the reservoir for the brakes. Now that I filled up the true reservoir and bled it out all is good.

Thanks for the help.