Did I pay too much?

jeephack

Finally took the leap yesterday and went junk yarding. I had been looking at a small rural yard

not too far from home. Called the guy to inquire as to what he might have. Said he had a few

older Cherokees,didn't know what a Comanche was. Decided to go have a look. Guess what

I found hiding in the weeds!

Do you think $100 was too much for the seat, taillights, and headliner?

Sorry about the picture quality, I was using my cell phone, and it was very

bright outside.

I asked about purchasing the whole vehicle. The guy said that he wasn't allowed to sell

an entire vehicle. I didn't press him on the issue because I plan on building a good

rapport with him. This little yard is only 6 miles from my driveway. That little corner

roll on the bumper in the next to last picture is about the worst spot on it. Didn't get

a chance to look under it to see what kind of rear end it had. It was getting close

to closing time. The truck had been smacked in the front end. Header and fenders were

pretty much trashed, but from the fenders back, the truck was in amazing shape other

than the faded paint. It will probably end up in my garage a piece at the time.

Column shift MJ's rule. jamminz.gif

Nice find.

And $100 isn't bad,

but I bet that was a 'cover-all' price

(meaning it would've been the same even if you had grabbed more stuff off it).

Hopefully it has a 44. :chillin:

Nice find.

And $100 isn't bad,

Don't know about that. This is a small, one owner operation but he does stay somewhat

informed as I found out when I asked the price of the taillights. He said he had to go

inside and check online and see what they were going for. When he asked me what shape

they were in, I had to be brutally honest and tell him that they were in excellent shape.

( hopefully to further my reputation for honesty and integrity, and build on that rapport

I spoke of earlier) But then again, you may be onto something. When he first came

back, he wanted $50 apiece for the taillights and $60 for the seat. After a period of

getting better acquainted and talking on things other than auto parts, I got the seat and

taillights for $100, and he threw in the headliner, which I need badly. My Comanche doesn't

have one and my son's does, and it's amazing how much quieter his is than mine.

I still haven't given up on the idea of acquiring the entire vehicle though. Just taking

things slow and see what may be arranged.

Nice find.

And $100 isn't bad,

Don't know about that. This is a small, one owner operation but he does stay somewhat

informed as I found out when I asked the price of the taillights. He said he had to go

inside and check online and see what they were going for. When he asked me what shape

they were in, I had to be brutally honest and tell him that they were in excellent shape.

( hopefully to further my reputation for honesty and integrity, and build on that rapport

I spoke of earlier) But then again, you may be onto something. When he first came

back, he wanted $50 apiece for the taillights and $60 for the seat. After a period of

getting better acquainted and talking on things other than auto parts, I got the seat and

taillights for $100, and he threw in the headliner, which I need badly. My Comanche doesn't

have one and my son's does, and it's amazing how much quieter his is than mine.

I still haven't given up on the idea of acquiring the entire vehicle though. Just taking

things slow and see what may be arranged.

Wow, I never went through that much negotiating at a yard.

When you said $100, I was thinking more like:

"I walked carrying the seat, tail lights & headliner, the guy sorta looked up from his newspaper/computer/girlie mag/whatever, and said $100"

That's how it usually went for me.

The last time I got the high price/hard sell I left the item on the counter, and walked out.

They were marker lights that only fit 1971 Javelins,

the guy had absolutely no idea what they fit, and he wanted way too much for them.

I got a nice '47 Diamond T out of a junk yard South of here a couple years ago. I got it the same way Johnny Cash did. A piece at a time. First I got the fenders, doors, and hood.$75 Then the then the engine, transmission and drive shaft.$195. Then the cab.$75. then the frame, bed and axles.$200. Did this over a 3 week period. The guy knew what I was doing. He didn't care. It was legal and he got his money. Spent another $500 and 3 months fixing it up, running and paint.Swapped it straight across for a '42 Harley '45. There's always a way to get around dumb laws, rules. Question is just whether it's worth it or not. And sorry, no pics. I'm a mechanic. Not a photographer.

I got a nice '47 Diamond T out of a junk yard South of here a couple years ago. I got it the same way Johnny Cash did. A piece at a time. First I got the fenders, doors, and hood.$75 Then the then the engine, transmission and drive shaft.$195. Then the cab.$75. then the frame, bed and axles.$200. Did this over a 3 week period. The guy knew what I was doing. He didn't care. It was legal and he got his money. Spent another $500 and 3 months fixing it up, running and paint.Swapped it straight across for a '42 Harley '45. There's always a way to get around dumb laws, rules. Question is just whether it's worth it or not. And sorry, no pics. I'm a mechanic. Not a photographer.

I have asked about this before... The local PNP flat out told me,

"If you want the whole thing, you buy the body and drivetrain, give your buddy some cash, and he can buy the frame and all else. Even if I know your going to put it back together, as long as the records show I sold it to two different people, I don't care what you do."

Now to work out how to get a unibody comanche out of hock... Hmm. :hmm:

Rob L.

Looks like a rust free shortbed... man oh man, if you can find a way to get that bed out of there (and it isn't horribly dented somewhere or other I'm not seeing) I would give an awful lot for it. My shortbed is rusted really badly and dented everywhere.

Of course, you're like 1500 miles away...

Also, I think 100 for what you got was a pretty fair price. Here I would have paid 50 for the lights, 15 for the headliner, and 40 for a bench seat in that condition, plus tax.

Column shift MJ's rule. jamminz.gif :chillin:

that is what first came to my mind... wow i miss my manche taht had the colume shift

great find.

Pitbull I have lots of those type of steering wheels if you realy want one...

What part of NC is it? I really could use a new rear bumper.

East Coast. About 45 mins. from Morehead City. I went back this afternoon after work to look around

some more. I went in with a machete and did a little landscaping so that I could see better and found

that joy filled first appearances can be a little deceiving. The back bumper had a couple of rolled up

areas underneath that weren't visible until the weeds were cut back. Still not too bad though. The bed

has a vertical indention on the driver's side and a couple of spots of surface rust. The front end had

been smacked a whole lot harder than I first thought.

This is the worst side of the bed.

Does the wheel really sit that far back?

Mudflaps anyone?

I've read of you guys swapping later model brake boosters into your 'manches.

Would one like this work?

This is the only shot I could get of the rear end. Keep in mind that the rear tires were flat, I'm 5'10", 235,

and 57 yrs. old. My rotund arse would not fit under there. I had to shove my arm in, hit the button and

hope for the best!

Is that really a 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer with ABS? No, that booster will probably not work. Rare vehicle it's in though.

Looks like a d35... and the bed is in worse shape than I hoped :( Nice find out in the yard though!

Nice yard find.

Does that MJ have the bed light switch in the dash? I'd be all over that if it did. My new truck is missing the switch and the light, and while I think I can get a light off something else, but that dash switch is eluding me.