TJ Value opinion?

Incommando

Below are the specs of a jeep that someone wants to trade me. Any of you folks cross over into the TJ realm to give me an idea on the worth? The 4-banger conerns me as I have read that the 4.0 swap was harder than a custom V8 swap???? No emissions testing here.

The jeep:

It is a 4 cyl, 5 speed currently. 80,000 miles With many upgrades.

Currie HP D44 front axle ARB locker 4.56 gears

Currie HP9 inch Rear axle ARB locker 4.56 gears

Heavy bumpers front and rear

Full roll cage

Scorpion Bedlined interior under the factory original carpet

Interior in excellent condition.

Hardtop

3.5” RE Superflex lift

JB Conversions SYE

33x12.5x15 Bfg ATs with 90% tread

15x10 Rockcrawler rims

Rockmen corner guards.

Bar Offroad Rocker guards

Kilby Gas Tank Skid

Xenon Flares

Chromoly tie-rod

It has been offroaded and has a few dings and scratches. Both front fenders are bent, but I’ve bought brand new fenders to replace them. Not installed yet. I’ve also bought a 2002 4.0 engine with an NV3550 Transmission w/56,000 miles to do a swap, that I’d include with a trade.

Opinions, SWAGS, and taunts are all welcome.

Not sure on value, but sounds pretty Bad azz! Is it the 2.4, or the 2.5, I'm not sure what year they changed it. Doing a 4.0 swap would be much easier if you had a complete donor, with wiring and all. And arent the motor mounts welded to the frame in the TJ's? With a donor, you could swap everything one peice at a time, and have some reference as to how it goes in and fits, If you get it by the peice, I can see where it might sound easier to do a V8 swap. Good luck, and sounds cool!

From what ive read, best route is a 5.2/5.9 swap as they were a dealership option, and the frame is notched for the mount. An ax-15 will even bolt up with a 3.9 dakota bellhousing

A dealer option 5.2/5.9 in a TJ???? What u talkin bout Willis?

What is the possible vehicle you will trade with him? This in its self could sway my opinion drastically.

I would tend to stay away due to the 2.5, would be a slightly different story if it was a 2.4. On the road, those 4.56 gears will probably feel sluggish on the road, but fine on the trail. However, it sounds like a very well built rig, with a bout $4K in the axles alone.

I would not trade your MJ for this particular TJ. Yes, it seems like an awesome rig, but the 4-cyl would keep me away. TJs are a whole lot less aerodynamic than an MJ and really NEED the 6-cyl to overcome wind resistance.

A guy at a dealer may have done the swap, but no way was it sanctioned by Chrysler. Chrysler would have had to get it OBD II compliant, warranty it etc, etc. There may have been stuff available through Chrysler for OFF ROAD USE ONLY type of a swap, but nothing legal for the street.

A guy at a dealer may have done the swap, but no way was it sanctioned by Chrysler. Chrysler would have had to get it OBD II compliant, warranty it etc, etc. There may have been stuff available through Chrysler for OFF ROAD USE ONLY type of a swap, but nothing legal for the street.

:agree:

Dealer one-off, not designed to happen. I seriously doubt, in fact, that it was done at or by a dealership. The guy who did it might have worked at a dealership in the day, but I cannot imagine any dealership being willing to incur the potential liability of doing a swap like that.

:agree:

Dealer one-off, not designed to happen. I seriously doubt, in fact, that it was done at or by a dealership. The guy who did it might have worked at a dealership in the day, but I cannot imagine any dealership being willing to incur the potential liability of doing a swap like that.

Well I don't have pics of the jeep, or I'd post em up. But according to him the Jeep had rolled out of the dealership with a magnum 5.2... Even had the magnum V8 badges on the sides. He just bought it because he wanted something tall enough to look into student's cars... Sadly he got rid of it a couple years back.

Just did a search for TJ 5.2 swap, and a ton of stuff came up incuding this article from JP magazine.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

Looks pretty cool. Maybe the dealer bought the TJ converted already, or sent it somewhere to have it converted for them.... it happens all the time. Looks like a good swap though!

like said, my boss has completed a 4.0L into his 2.5 97 tj and he had to replace damn near EVERYTHING. tons of wiring, a cluster swap, a fuel tank/sending unit.

nightmare and not worth it for the power. a 5.3 GM v8 would be PERFECT swap candidate.

like said, my boss has completed a 4.0L into his 2.5 97 tj and he had to replace damn near EVERYTHING. tons of wiring, a cluster swap, a fuel tank/sending unit.

nightmare and not worth it for the power. a 5.3 GM v8 would be PERFECT swap candidate.

Whoa, lets keep it in the pentastar family at least... Thems GM letters is fightin woyds.

Rob L.

How would a 5.3 GM swap be any easier than a 4.0 swap, or a 5.2 magnum swap.... it all has to be changed anyways no matter what you do for a swap. The TJ is just not one of those vehicles that make it easy for ya to do something like this. Another big consideration is availability of a swap motor/trans, and CASH (or lack therof). If you have a 5.3 sitting around that you don't have to go out and buy... I say go for it, but if all you have is a 4.0 sitting around, why would you go out and buy a 5.3.... unless you really really wanted one? Its all going to be a pain in the but, but its often worth it if thats all you have available to work with. Need combined with lack of funds can make a man make anything work if he wants it bad enough.