exhaust / brakes

My exhaust is getting a little noisy. Was wondering if any of you had tried those flowmaters and other advertised high performance exhaust set ups? Any real noticeable difference?

Also wondering about those advertised fancy brakes. Any of them actually worth the money with improved performance or is it all hype?

you probably won't get any performance out of a simple muffler/tailpipe; there's a good likelyhood of your header being cracked where the pipes come together (also where the egr comes off on renix models) the addition of an aftermarket performance header MIGHT give some uumph but i still doubt it.

what kind of brakes are you talking abuot? just some upgraded rotors and pads? or caliper/knuckle swaps and rear disc brakes?

the most bang for your buck on braking is going to be a 96 cherokee brake booster or a WJ (unsure on the year) brake booster. and/or a rear proportioning valve bypass, and some rear disc brakes.

i wouldn't waste the money on "high performance" rotors and pads, just buy a quality brake pad and some made in USA rotors and they will work just as well, the downfall in our brakes is the size and the brake booster.

I am not expecting some major improvement in gas milage or performance. Just want to do the best I can and get the best bang for the buck. If the fancy name brand magnaflow and dynaflow and such aren't really going to add anything from a midas or napa then why bother.

I want to get the best brake pads and calipers and such without getting too far away from stock components. Is there really anything too those titanium pads vs. napa or midas, etc.

As far as brakes go ...... I replaced my pads, rotors, and calipers ..... and with all new stuff and a re-bleed they brakes work better than ever. I bought the cheapest stuff from Advance Auto. For the price of fancy brakes, I would recommend getting fresh calipers instead.

My exhaust is getting a little noisy. Was wondering if any of you had tried those flowmaters and other advertised high performance exhaust set ups? Any real noticeable difference?

I have an 88 and installed a 40 Series Delta Flow - Two Chamber Muffler http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/searc ... &sc3=&sc4=

It sounds great! :clapping: It's not as loud as the audio clip on the website, but it has a nice rumble to it... As for difference... i have noticed it. I did a cold air intake and the muffler and have notice a drastic difference in horsepower and torque... I have a i6 with 205k miles under her belt. I would say get the flowmaster. I paid $90 for it... well worth it :cheers:

Clean rotors, new pads, and stainless braided brake hoses will really make an improvement... the brake hoses themslves should give you better pedal feel by themselves.

:agree: Yes I'll upgrade the booster and master later , however NEW stock brakes work just fine , even with heavy wheels . I would advise the discs in the rear thats just a major

improvement right there . Stock calipers and rotors are cheaper and I've noticed that they last longer . SS brake lines also firm up the pedal , feels like there is more control under load .

The addition of a free flowing muffler will do more for sound than for performance. Especially when nothing else is changed. Add a better intake in conjunction, like Mikeviera mentioned, you will feel a seat pf the pants improvement.

As for brakes, forget the fancy rotors and WAY expensive ads. Most of our trucks have a single diaphragm booster and brakes designed for 205x15 tires... Add something like 31-33-35" tire's and the braking quality drops off the chart. Two of the best options are a WJ booster/Master cylinder swap. Omix-ada makes a complete kit to do the upgrade. Secondly a '96 XJ booster MC set-up from the pickNpull.

CW

I am not expecting some major improvement in gas milage or performance. Just want to do the best I can and get the best bang for the buck. If the fancy name brand magnaflow and dynaflow and such aren't really going to add anything from a midas or napa then why bother.

I ran a ""high performance" turbo muffler cat-back system on my '88 XJ for awhile. My brother managed a Speedy muffler shop and he talked me into it.

BIG mistake. It sounded okay, but not great. There was a noticeable loss of low-end torque, and gas mileage took a hit of about 2 MPG. It was the only time in my entire life (all 66 years of it) when I actually wanted an exhaust system to rust out so I could justify replacing it.

Get a standard OEM replacement from Auto Zone or Advance with the lifetime warranty and call it good.

The key to a good exhaust system is proportional to the size of the intake/exhaust ports coming out the cylinder head . Also the aspiration of the motor , weather its turbo ,

supercharged or natural aspired . In race bikes allot of engineering and R&D goes into finding the perfect exhaust size , tapper and bends even the type of material they are made from can make a difference . Too big and you loose precious back-pressure , gobbling up all your low end , Too small and you run into the air flow being restricted , again loosing power mostly from the high end . Also just replacing mufflers and pipes do nothing but sound better , find a kit or have a shop custom make a complete exhaust

kit , Headers , Pipe and mufflers . To get the full benefit you'll need to something with the air intake and for a stage 1 finale , I'd upgrade the injectors and adjust the air fuel

ratio accordingly .

I'd probably ask any of the Jeepspeed pre-runners what they are using or what might be a good manifold/pipe size thats perfect for all around driving .

The race teams have allot more experience and trial by fire know how than I could shake a stick at .