Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out why my dome lights aren't working. It's been this way since I got the Jeep from my dad.

I replaced the bulbs, and verified I have current at the connector, but the lights simply don't work.

The dome lights appear to be in good shape. Could the terminals simply be corroded? Any recommendations on cleaning the terminals?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

:hijack:

Mine don't work either, they rotate, new bulbs, new headlight switch, current at the socket. What's missing. I'm interested!!

Also is there a courtesy light (footwell)?? Or wiring for it?

To the OP:

Are the door switches all rusted out/corroded and funky like mine??

There's a little wheel opposite the plug end that makes the contact inside the light, does it move, is it corroded? It has three positions, middle is off, one side is on, the other is switched on (when door is open).

Also is there a courtesy light (footwell)?? Or wiring for it?

The wiring is already there. Lights look like this.

do they rotate up and down freely?

Yes, both dome lights rotate up and down freely.

There's a little wheel opposite the plug end that makes the contact inside the light, does it move, is it corroded?

The wheel moves, but it does look slightly rusted.

Any suggestions on cleaning it? It looks pretty delicate, I don't want to break it while trying to clean off the rust.

A small screwdriver and some fine grit sandpaper work pretty well for cleaning the wheel, and yes corrosion of the copper is the reason they stop working. When I worked on mine I used an extra connector and a 12V battery at the kitchen table. Sand/scrape, stop to test and see if it works, repeat until it lights up. Once you do get it to work I wouldn't rotate them out of position. They can be hard to get working again.

If you have the courtesy lights to add under the dash it's a good way to verify the door switches work. Open the door & under dash lights come on, the switch is good. Since you said you have voltage at the connector the switches are probably ok

A small screwdriver and some fine grit sandpaper work pretty well for cleaning the wheel, and yes corrosion of the copper is the reason they stop working. When I worked on mine I used an extra connector and a 12V battery at the kitchen table. Sand/scrape, stop to test and see if it works, repeat until it lights up. Once you do get it to work I wouldn't rotate them out of position. They can be hard to get working again.

If you have the courtesy lights to add under the dash it's a good way to verify the door switches work. Open the door & under dash lights come on, the switch is good. Since you said you have voltage at the connector the switches are probably ok

Copper?

They made them out of copper? Then put them above the vents where moisture could get to them?

:doh:

Yea before I even bothered going out to get new bulbs I tested the connector. Switches are in very good shape, no signs of corrosion or wear.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try cleaning them, but if that doesn't work I'll cut the back off and put a new light assembly in myself.

Copper?

They made them out of copper? Then put them above the vents where moisture could get to them?

Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me. It was probably the same genius who specified a vertical mount oil filter on the Renix 4.0s. Just bear in mind the copper doesn't need to be loaded with green corrosion to not work. Mine were all the color of a used penny until I scraped them...then they had the bright copper color.