pulling e-brake cables, anyone know a good way?

Somebody out there has to know a savvy way to pull e-brake cables without mangling the ends all to **** like I do.

I'm talking about the end parts that pop into the backing plate and cable hanger, that have the 3 little "fingers" that need to be depressed. Is there a special tool or something I could use other than an ugly combination of pliers/screwdrivers and my imaginary third hand, that will depress all 3 tangs at the same time(one of which is usually impossible to get at on the backside)?

I'm gonna try wrapping a small hose clamp around the barrel end, but if anyone has a better method, I'm all ears....

FYI, this is for yanking cables out of the junkyard to reuse (without destroying them). I've gotten a couple off in the past but have damaged them enough that they weren't worth reusing :cry:

TIA,

Jeff

I have always just used needle nose pliers and screwdrivers. Needle nose vice grips might be useful as well...the trick i found is to pull on the cable from the back and one by one depress a finger through the hole. Once you get them all through you can pull it. You should be able to rotate the cable to get the ones in the back to come to the front...

When it comes to taking the adjusting nut off of the bracket that bolts onto the box, they are usually rusted right on here in Michigan. So, I take a dremel under the Jeep and slice one side of the nut open. Then I can get a screwdriver in there and pry it open. This saves the threads, (for the most part) so I can go clean them up and put a new nut on.

Have Fun. When It came to these, I just went and bought new cables from Mopar and called myself good for the next 10 years.

...the trick i found is to pull on the cable from the back and one by one depress a finger through the hole. Once you get them all through you can pull it. You should be able to rotate the cable to get the ones in the back to come to the front...

yup, but inevitably I get two of them depressed/held, then when I try the last one, one or both pop back out :mad: I literally spent 30 minutes last weekend just to get one cable out, and I ended up fubaring the spring on the end of it in the process. (me = :grrrr: )

I'm in the process of disc-braking a D44 from ZJ parts, and need the ZJ cables. I checked at the local parts houses, and the cheapest I found was about $35 for EACH of them (right side a bit more $$ than the left). I can pull them from the 'yard for $11 total jamminz.gif

Bonus also is virtually NO rust/corrosion on vehicles down here in VA, too. If I were still up in PA, I wouldn't even consider junkyard cables.

I bought new cables for just about 35 buck each when I did a disk brake conversion from the local parts house. You might check on looked for new ones, to save the hassle of pulling unknowns from a yard and wasting to much time. Just a sugestion.

Andy

Tech-tip of the day.....

the small hose clamp trick worked like a charm....just tighten it down enough to compress the "fingers", and pry the cable end out a bit with a screwdriver 'till they slip inside and loosen the clamp. Came out like buttah... ;)

Jeff