Project Killpig

Well after blowing up the motor on the Wartoad (1995 HO XJ), I needed another ride as the Toad was my daily driver. My budget was tight and I looked at a few XJs that didn't quite make the cut. I found this though:

1986 Comanche with a running 2.8L V6. I payed $900. The guy said it had a new clutch (feels good), clutch master cylinder and rear brakes. It needs new front brakes, a new exhaust manifold stud, and I just bought edelbrock headers for it. I'm in the process of a tune-up, building new batt cables for the Optima YT, and installing a 3 inch lift. I have a D44 rear that I planned on putting into the XJ, but now it will get a new home........

BTW, where are the spots that the water comes into the cab from?????? :banana:

Well after blowing up the motor on the Wartoad (1995 HO XJ), I needed another ride as the Toad was my daily driver. My budget was tight and I looked at a few XJs that didn't quite make the cut. I found this though:

1986 Comanche with a running 2.8L V6. I payed $900. The guy said it had a new clutch (feels good), clutch master cylinder and rear brakes. It needs new front brakes, a new exhaust manifold stud, and I just bought edelbrock headers for it. I'm in the process of a tune-up, building new batt cables for the Optima YT, and installing a 3 inch lift. I have a D44 rear that I planned on putting into the XJ, but now it will get a new home........

BTW, where are the spots that the water comes into the cab from?????? :banana:

why did you chop the fender so much. are ya planning on runnng massive tiers or somethin?

also for waer entering the cab. my experience is around the windshield and doors. i know theres other but i can't think of them

I only have 31's right now, but when I trimmed less on my XJ, I chewed up my tires on the front fenders from flexing. may go with bigger rubber later, but want to try and keep a low COG. I like that look better meself.

I ordered Edelbrock headers for $174 from their online store. Marked down from $700+. You 2.8L guys might wanna check it out.....

31 x 10.50 Maxxis Buckshots on black d-windows. The tires got 50 miles on them- they came from my XJ.

3 inch RE coils, 2 inch shackle and 1 inch block rear, extended brake lines, new brakes in the front, rear fender cut and fold, gutted interior, flat tan paint, swap in the dana 44 from an 87. That's short term before I deploy.

Shoot- you're right. I just went and looked. Well the three inch up front and two out back shoot make it run level, since pick-ups are usually a little higher in the back for payload, correct?

Hate to rain on your parade more, but the lift shackles won't work out well either. MJ shackles are near twice the length of XJ shackles. Stock. And no one makes lift shackles for our trucks. You can use a set of chevy drop shackles off ebay, but with them being so long already, its sketchy to run a HUGE shackle.

Your going to have to throw out any XJ thoughts or practices on the rear of this thing.

Rob L.

The MJ shackles can be used on an XJ to net about 1.5" of lift. I would then imagine, that the same shackle you used gave 2" on an XJ, would only get about .5" on an MJ. Not worth it in my book. Easiest, and cheapest way to lift an MJ in the rear is a spring over.

Rob L.

The MJ shackles can be used on an XJ to net about 1.5" of lift. I would then imagine, that the same shackle you used gave 2" on an XJ, would only get about .5" on an MJ. Not worth it in my book. Easiest, and cheapest way to lift an MJ in the rear is a spring over.

Rob L.

MJ shackle on an XJ will net ~ 3/4".

IIRC, a XJ 2" lift shackle will lift an MJ about 1", and the comment I got on mine was "HOLY LONG SHACKLE, BATMAN!"

Can't forget the fact that the MJ axle does not sit on the center of the spring. More of a 40/60 split.

just as a general rule of thumb, questions from you about your truck should go in the Tech forum (so they and their answers will become part of the database). :thumbsup: The project forum is more for you to show off your truck and for others to ask you questions about it.

and for water leaks, any and all areas are suspect. try the babypowder trick. after you pull up the carpet, you can sprinkle baby powder around and the water will make trails through it, showing you the direction to where the leak originated. :D

Sorry Pete. I just posted here to show the truck from start to eventual finish (that's how I've seen project threads go usually), progress pics and all...... Looks like the thread got a little more into tech than expected.

Alright so we made some progress. Installed a Gant steering wheel:

Got the 3 inch RE coils up front and tires on:

We made these batt cables the other day. I forgot to take pics of the old terminals and cables. The cabl;es were bare wire about 1/3 of the way up from the starter...... Ugh. Here they are installed:

Also sprayed a bunch of the PO's back 40 from underneath the 'Pig. That should make it easier to get at stuff.

I got a hold of Tom at Hell Creek today and ordered an MJ add a leaf that he is gonna arch an extra 2 inches and ship out tomorrow. Great guy and great prices. I'll be back for sure for this truck and for my XJ in the future. Thanks Tom!

Also waiting on a set of ceramic coated Edelbrock headers from their online store (part number 68802) found here:

http://store.edelbrock.com/jeep-3.aspx

These are for the 2.8L V6 and are marked down from $767.95 to $174.87. I'm guessing because no one messes with these wimpy V6 motors too much. My maniolds are shot and I was having a hard time finding replacements I would trust, so I said what the hell. We shall see..........

Going to O'Reilly's tomorrow for a bunch of tune-up stuff. Shouldn't be anything too fancy to report there. Thanks for looking and wish me luck!!

LOL- yeah my buddy tells me to go for a 4.3L GM in both of my Jeeps. Not sure what I will swap in when the time comes........ May save enough cash to go crazy with one of them....... :banana: Thanks for the heads up Rob.