ax5

Most JY that I'm familiar with sells the trans separate from the bell housing, which is what the inspection cover is fastened to. It's just a piece of tin. If necessary make one. Just keep the crap out of the bell housing. If you really can't find one, I may have one.

For a manual transmission, it's called a "block plate." It is not an inspection cover, and it doesn't cover only the lower part. It's a complete spacer plate that fits between the block and the bellhousing.

It isn't a part of the transmission and I'd be willing to bet that most junk yards would not include it when selling a transmission, even if they include the bellhousing.

• 8 months later...

I bought an 87 Comanche with no spacer plate at all.

drove it to a wrecking yard and picked one up. got home and now wondering how much work it would take to get it installed.

I can see a lot of dust and crap built up so I'll have to clean that out before doing anything.

anyone know what I'll have to take apart and if I'll need to recruit a buddy to help?

Usually they're stuck with the motors, since when you pull the trans, the plate is still nudged between the block and flywheel, stuck in there with the alignment pegs.

You have to pull the trans back a good two inches, and you may need to remove the alignment dowels to get the plate in/out without bending it.

The one for the ax5 is not a complete spacer plate, it only covers and bolts to the bottom half. I have one sitting here to look at, though I couldnt tell you right now if youd need to pull the trans to install it. First thing for you will be to find one, then look at everything real good to know if anything has to come out to install it.

Edit: After looking at it closer, and putting it up against the trans bellhousing, I would have to say that you won't need to pull the trans. Looks like all its attaching points are seperate from the engine mounting bolts, should just slide in place and bolt up.

After looking at it closer, and putting it up against the trans bellhousing, I would have to say that you won't need to pull the trans. Looks like all its attaching points are seperate from the engine mounting bolts, should just slide in place and bolt up.

thats what I was hoping. I thought the starter motor might come out and that was the worst of it.

thanks for helping, I've been searching almost every keyword into google and it just pissed me off when nothing came about except shopping pages.

lol at how old this thread is and the immediate response to my question. :clapping:

After looking at it closer, and putting it up against the trans bellhousing, I would have to say that you won't need to pull the trans. Looks like all its attaching points are seperate from the engine mounting bolts, should just slide in place and bolt up.

thats what I was hoping. I thought the starter motor might come out and that was the worst of it.

thanks for helping, I've been searching almost every keyword into google and it just pissed me off when nothing came about except shopping pages.

lol at how old this thread is and the immediate response to my question. :clapping:

Yeah, the starter has to come out, sorry, I assumed that would be a given... sorry. And I didnt even notice how old the thread was... don't remember it either.