4.0L muffler?

I have an exhaust leak and a rusty exhaust at that... I was just wondering if anybody would think it would be a good idea if I added a flowmaster 40 series single inlet and outlet stock diameter, but also placed it where the catalytic converter is and lead the exhaust pipe out the side... does this sound like a good idea? would it help gain power and mpg or not? thanks.

the flowmaster would be cool, but I'm not sure I'd want the gasses dumping so close to my cab.

Unless your cat is clogged, you likely won't see any significant improvement in anything but the sweet, sweet music to your ears. :D

If you want to run a side dump you would have to turn it out pretty far up, by the door. When i bought my 92 it had a side dump that was run in between the frame and leaf spring :ack: . Rock magnet for sure. If you don't off road with it, it probably wouldn't be a problem

there's no guarantee of any noticeable improvements. physics isn't as cut and dry as a muffler ad would lead us to believe. :dunno: there might be some, I'm just saying don't spend the money thinking it'll save you money down the road. spend the money cause you want a cool sound outta your truck. :thumbsup:

and yes, if you dump right by the cab, you will risk some fumes wafting back into the cab when the truck isn't moving and the window is down. most of the time you probably won't notice anything.

40 series will sound great, and please don't cut out the cat... it really makes your truck smell like $#!& for everyone in traffic behind you, also doesn't help with our trucks getting lumped in as clunkers and junk.

oh, removing the converter will NOT help with gas mileage unless it is clogged, which means it needs to be replaced

I just replaced my complete exhaust system including CAT because the previous owner cut off the CAT and put on a flowmaster 40. I didn't like the sound at all. I've owned and own some sweet sounding engines. My 61 Corvette, 72 Olds 442, 69 Dodge Dart 340 and CJ7 with 360 sound great. the 4.0 is not a great sounding engine. I found the constant drone of the engine and the pitch change every time I gave it a little gas or backed off on the gas to be really annoying especially on long trips. I paid around $370 for, exhaust pipe, CAT, tail pipe (Still wonder why the 6' bed pipe is $30.00 more then the 7'), muffler, gaskets, hangers and clamps. This was about $200 cheaper then the local Lentz muffler shop and took about an hour. I love the way it sounds. The muffler was the cheapest direct replacement one that NAPA sells. Everything fit, no cutting or cussing.

Mac...

I just replaced my complete exhaust system including CAT because the previous owner cut off the CAT and put on a flowmaster 40. I didn't like the sound at all. I've owned and own some sweet sounding engines. My 61 Corvette, 72 Olds 442, 69 Dodge Dart 340 and CJ7 with 360 sound great. the 4.0 is not a great sounding engine. I found the constant drone of the engine and the pitch change every time I gave it a little gas or backed off on the gas to be really annoying especially on long trips. I paid around $370 for, exhaust pipe, CAT, tail pipe (Still wonder why the 6' bed pipe is $30.00 more then the 7'), muffler, gaskets, hangers and clamps. This was about $200 cheaper then the local Lentz muffler shop and took about an hour. I love the way it sounds. The muffler was the cheapest direct replacement one that NAPA sells. Everything fit, no cutting or cussing.

Mac...

:agree: I'm going the same route. Must be getting old or something :ack: With the Beast being a DD, I'm going quiet this time around, leaving the noise to 68 Camaro.