Cracked paint on flares, what's the best way to remove it?

My 'Grandpa Jeep' had been repainted in the past,

I'd guess about 10+ years ago.

The paint is still decent, but (of course), they did not use a flexing additive (or whatever you call it) in the paint, and the flares & ft spoiler have paint cracks all over them.

Sanding it off is the most obvious answer, except being soft plastic, I'll likely sand all the lines off the flares as well.

Is there another way?

I'm guessing paint stripper would be too harsh for them. :???:

What do body shops do? (it's effecting the rear flares too, so ordering a new set isn't an option).

MJ is Dead?

Anyone?

they did not use a flexing additive (or whatever you call it) in the paint,

Hmmm.

I was researching this, and it seems flex additive doesn't work the way I had thought.

Apparently it only temporarily allows the object to flex, and eventually the paint on the part loses the ability to flex.

Do I have this right?

Does that fusion rattle can paint remain pliable after it dries?

I used a stripping product by a company called "Bulldog" that was specifically designed for removing paint from plastic bumpers (and other plastic parts). It did not harm the flares, but was quite harsh on where I accidently splashed it on my bare skin. I then hand sanded them with 320 grit wet/dry paper.

I bought the stripper at O'Reilly's Auto parts. It came in an aersol can and ran about $7.00.

I'd just sand it off and be done with it. Go to your local hardware store and buy some Krylon Fusion paint of your color choice and repaint 'em. The fusion adheres VERY well to almost anything, including plastic. I've heard that it actually has an "adhesion promoter" in the paint which is why it bonds to almost anything.

I myself have used it with great results ---> viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17361

don't worry I gotcha

Use a waterbased stripper, and ONLY LEAVE IT ON TILL THE PAINT STARTS PEELING OFF.

Should be able to get this one at NAPA

Image Not Found

Then rinse, wash with soapy water and rinse again.

Wash with alcohol, then sand with either 800 grit dry, or 600 wet. Personally i prefer to wetsand all plastics

Wash with soapy water, rinse, alcohol it again, and hit it with a tack rag

then but some fusion. And make sure to use 3 coats, getting gradually heavier each coat. your first coat, you just wanna dust coat the suckers. (basically just telling those flares, that eventually they will be another color :P )

I did this same procedure on my yota and it held up until the day I sold it

:agree:

Krylon Fusion. Mine are painted with Satin Black

I used plain old brush on aircraft stripper on my flares to remove the faded oem paint. It didn't work very well (not as well as it does on painted metal). So I just sanded everything with 320, wiped them down with the Xylol I had left over from the Herculiner installation, and painted them with Krylon Fusion using the DIY on here as a guide.

When you go to paint them, you should consider using a satin black base coat, then a top coat of taillight blackout for that glossy look. Because regular glossy paint in a rattle can doesnt lay down right and looks patchy and fades quicker. I can't quite remember the name of the taillight blackout that I used but I got it from autozone and its made by vht. I don't think it was nightshades. But it stays glossy, and looks identical to the factory paint on the fender flares. Thats just my two cents for ya though. hope it helps.

I agree that paint from a gun will lay down ten times better, but alas most people here don't have access to a paint gun. Heck I paint for a living and don't have my own gun/space to use it. (Damn corporate jobs)

That's why fusion is your best bet

Awesome advice in this thread!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread printed, and waiting for me to have a free, non-raining weekend.

Thankyou guys. :bowdown:

:yes: