cab vents

Behind the vent trims, there is a insert with rubber "flaps", if the rubber flaps have fallen out, you'll get that wind noise.

You can remove the vent trims by just pushing up on them, there "key-holed" on to push pins on the body side.

If your in need of replacement inserts, drop a "want" add in the classified section, and someone will respond ;)

I have realized that all of my cab noise is coming from wind passing over the vents on the sides of my cab. does anybody know or have ideas on how to eliminate or at least reduce this wind noise?

Curious as to how you realized that ALL your cab noise was caused by the vents. Care to elaborate? :hmm:

Not to go off topic, but,

Hello neighbor!

Rob L.

:offtopic:

Yes, Mr. Hornbrod also make a good point...........

Some of your wind noise could be from the door weatherstrip being old and un-pliable.

(And give the new guy a brake Don ;) )

[Yes, Mr. Hornbrod also make a good point...........

Some of your wind noise could be from the door weatherstrip being old and un-pliable.

(And give the new guy a brake Don ;) )

No, I wasn't trying to be a smarta$$. :D It's just that I hear zero wind noise from the cab vents and wondered how it's possible w. all the other noises in the cab. :cheers:

Don........I didn't say you were....... :roll:

But, you made me think of the door weather strip :idea: as a possible wind noise :D

I've seen where the rubber flaps have come off, or deteriorated, and that would make a direct source of the noise the OP was asking about.

Seen how they work as a "one way valve" pushing pressure out, and not able to let air into the cap.

But, I also agree, there is so much other noise in the cap, I wouldn't hear that noise.........even with my one somewhat good hearing ear ;)

I have all the rubber flaps on mine and the interior isn't finished yet. When someone is outside talking it seems like they are right in the truck!!! I am planning on using foam and dynamat to dampen the noise but allow the air to escape when the doors are shut. I should be able to get to it this week.

I understand what you are saying and it's quite a design flaw, but they sure do look cool!! The normal way of using these vents is between the door jam or on the bottom backside of the cab, Jeep thought what the hang let 'em show!!

Toyota and Datsun pickups among others had exposed cab vents long before AMC copied them on the MJ. And yes, I like them too. :D Design flaw? Why? I've never heard of them leaking or any other problems.

Image Not Found

Theres a seal in the groove around the vent cover which is suppose to seal against the cab side. Mine doesnt do that anymore because the cover is slightly warped from age and the seal has shrivled from age. The wind passes under the front edge of the vent cover & the noise seems to be intensified and pass into the cab. I think tomorrow I will tape around the edges of the cover and see if it quites down any. If it does then I'm going to find or make a new seal out of something to make it seal tight again or I'll just plug the holes.

I had the same issue with the seals on my cab covers and replaced it with something i saw in someone's build thread: 3M 1/4" weather strip. You can find it an most any hardware store. It didn't stick well to the vent cover, so i also used some 3m high strength adhesive i had left over from recovering my headliner.

Toyota and Datsun pickups among others had exposed cab vents long before AMC copied them on the MJ. And yes, I like them too. :D Design flaw? Why? I've never heard of them leaking or any other problems.

Only problem I have is that the wasps really like to nest in them :rant: