ring and pinion question

I mean no offense by this, but your question leads me to believe that you may not be up to setting up gears. :dunno: Or are you just stripping down what you've got?

ha. I was thinking the same thing.

Gear guys want a place to 'start' so they count the shims that came off prior setups. If it is going to a gear guy I would leave it on.

If you want to change the bearings just to change them it may still require shimming (on either the pinion or the ring gear).

You can also *carefully* get them off with a grinder.

But swapping carrier bearings can mess up your backlash & pattern,

changing pinion bearings can mess up your pinion depth, backlash & pattern.

When I set up my D30, I tried to get 2 matching sets of carrier bearings (same manufacturer).

One set to hone out as 'set-up bearings', the 2nd set to actually press on & use.

My parts guy didn't have 2 matching sets, so I got one good set & one China set.

They 'mic'd' exactly the same,

but when installed, with case preload, the 'good' set's pattern & backlash was very far off the honed out china set. :(

I ground the 'good' set off, ordered two more matching 'good' sets, and the slip-fit set, and the pressed on set had identical backlash & patterns.

Short version:

don't mess with it if you don't have to. :D

But swapping carrier bearings can mess up your backlash & pattern

well.......maybe but this isn't as bad as you think. If you replace the carrier bearings with two identical (new) carrier bearings your probably OK in regards to you pattern (if you have a good pattern your backlash is ok) because the carrier is automatically centered in the housing (as it was when it had the 'old' bearings on it). The issue when swapping your carrier bearings is the thickness of the bearing itself and how much preload the bearings are getting. I have measured some bearings and there are some thickness differences from one brand to another and SOMETIMES (even with a case spreader) you can't get the carrier back in the housing due to the fact they are new and effectively thicker than what came off.

changing pinion bearings can mess up your pinion depth, backlash & pattern.

This is correct but it could also mess with your (pinion) bearing preload as well unless you re shim it.

But if it is not broken.....leave it alone. :cheers:

well.......maybe but this isn't as bad as you think. If you replace the carrier bearings with two identical (new) carrier bearings your probably OK in regards to you pattern (if you have a good pattern your backlash is ok) because the carrier is automatically centered in the housing (as it was when it had the 'old' bearings on it). The issue when swapping your carrier bearings is the thickness of the bearing itself and how much preload the bearings are getting. I have measured some bearings and there are some thickness differences from one brand to another and SOMETIMES (even with a case spreader) you can't get the carrier back in the housing due to the fact they are new and effectively thicker than what came off.

When I had the problem above (using 2 different brands of carrier bearing to set up the gears), swapping carrier bearings gave me very little, to no backlash, after having had them set up nice with the cheaper China bearings.

Maybe the gear side bearing was so bad, it 'collapsed' much more than the non-ring gear side, increasing the backlash, but when I put the 'good' bearing set in, the backlash disappeared.

It probably had everything to do with using a poor quality bearing set, but I wouldn't want to see someone swap carrier bearings as a preventative maintenance, and burn up a gear set.

When I had the problem above (using 2 different brands of carrier bearing to set up the gears), swapping carrier bearings gave me very little, to no backlash, after having had them set up nice with the cheaper China bearings.

Maybe the gear side bearing was so bad, it 'collapsed' much more than the non-ring gear side, increasing the backlash, but when I put the 'good' bearing set in, the backlash disappeared.

It probably had everything to do with using a poor quality bearing set, but I wouldn't want to see someone swap carrier bearings as a preventative maintenance, and burn up a gear set.

Sounds like you are right that the two diferent brands and the fact they were cheap ones that wear differently was your problem. I don't think many folks will run into this issue as it is quite unique.

:hijack: My take on gears is that sooner or later I'm going to have to cut my teeth on setting up a set.

Plans for this summer include R&P changes on an 8.8 and a D30. I have 4.10s and install kits. Might sell the 4.10s so I can go 4.88 though. I've been researching, gathering tools and equipment for this for a couple years now and my only question is when I use my bearing separator am I going to trash the old bearings (carrier and pinion) preventing them from being used as "set-up" bearings? Worst case scenario, I could bite the bulled for set-up bearings, I'll grind them out myself.

:hijack: My take on gears is that sooner or later I'm going to have to cut my teeth on setting up a set.

Plans for this summer include R&P changes on an 8.8 and a D30. I have 4.10s and install kits. Might sell the 4.10s so I can go 4.88 though. I've been researching, gathering tools and equipment for this for a couple years now and my only question is when I use my bearing separator am I going to trash the old bearings (carrier and pinion) preventing them from being used as "set-up" bearings? Worst case scenario, I could bite the bulled for set-up bearings, I'll grind them out myself.

I would suggest using new bearings as set up bearings and make sure they are the same brand you intend to use in the housing when they are all set.

Gears are not hard but they are time consuming. The 8.8 shouldn't be too bad. I don't like Dana 30s as the casting flexes WAY too much. My suggestion is to get the bearing preload REALLY high and get that backlash to like 8 thousands.