Harmonic Balancer

So, judging by my previous issues with the serpentine belt and electrictiy, I've decdided to do some preventative work.

My alternator is a the doctors office getting a rebuild, so ill be good on that by wednesday. the funny thing about the alternator is it was only putting out 9volts max. is this a common problem? what causes this? anyone now

and-

I have my serpentine belt 1/4 inch off the fan pulley and seems the diagnosis is the harmonic balancer. After trying my hardest to inspect and pull on the thing, I can't really see much wrong with it. The only qualm i have is the rubber looks a bit dry rotted....

I was able to do some work this weekend and picked up a few extra bucks, drove to autozone and picked one up= a dorman (not, if its really worth the extra bucks for the pioneer Ill exchange it for it.... you guys would now, but judging on how its built i couldn't really see the difference)

now my question is, will I run into some timing issues if i do this wrong? I was trying to remove the old one, which I'm sure i can do, but its definitely turning a little bit and so far i got a good 65 degree turn from its original location. any help is appreciated...

Harmonic balancer has absolutely nothing to do with timing, other than the #1 TDC mark on it. You only need that if you're trying to set the distributor. Changing the balancer can not possibly affect your timing.

Someone gave me this bit of advice so I'm passing it on to you. You should also change the front seal as long as you have the balancer off.

I'm not sure what you mean is turning? You mean the engine is turning as you loosen the balancer bolt?

Good luck, mine was a real pain to get off and on. It's pretty cramped under there.

Mac...

thanks for the quick replies. I didnt think so, but i gotta friend who "knows everything" and figured I'd ask. I'll look into the seal, I can't help but take any advice as to fix something when I'm already down there.

And mac, the when i try to get off the bolt it is turning the crankshaft every now and then

It certainly wouldn't hurt. It's a cheap enough seal. It's rather rare for them to go out, it's a very low pressure area.

The only problem you might have is getting the old one out with the crank snout in the way. You might need to pull the timing cover to change the seal.

the front of the crank snout is keyed, and the HB is secured in position by a woodruff key (plus the bolt).....you won't screw the timing up any by removing it. I'd suggest an impact wrench (air powered, but a good quality electric will break it loose also). You'll need a puller to remove it once you get the bolt out, and will most likely have to pull the radiator to do this properly.

Jeff

definitly change the seal.i replaced my balancer with a professional products one last year and my front was dry so i didn't replace it.a few months later it's pouring.i assume when i removed the old balancer and replaced it i disturbed the seal.they don't cost very much and it's already apart so just do it.