Gas in the oil

I was checking my oil yesterday when I smelled gas in the oil. I know it's not something I want to go on any longer than need be, but I've also been told it cleans out the engine, is this true?

What could cause this, just bad seals, bad injectors, somethin else?

Most likely leaking injectors.

alright, easy enough fix

If there is much gas in the oil it will ruin your bearings. I would change the oil soon.

I'm changing the oil this week after I replace the fuel pump, can't go get oil and the filter if my truck doesn't run, haha

thanks guys!

My '88 SporTruck did this same thing. It was a farm vehicle so we just let it go on for a while and now the engine has lower-than-normal oil pressure and compression. Turned out to be three or four leaky injectors. Got new injectors, but it was too late for the engine. Still runs, just not as well as it should and it has a lot of blow-by.

Taz had worked out a deal with someone to get a 10% discount on injectors for CC members. A few guys on here are using them, I have a set but havent put them in yet. If you are interested I'm sure someone remembers the site name or I can get it off the paperwork, just LMK

Hey, had this same thing happen on my '89MJ, 4.0. My oil level was waaay too high, and gassy smelling. Someone from this forum nailed it on their first guess. He said it was the ECU. I, of course, changed a few suspect looking injectors.

It was the ECU. $50 junkyard trip and all was well

Thanks for all the advice guys! :yes:

I was just reading the thread about the 10% off injectors a couple days ago so I should be able to find it again pretty easily. The 'Manche's goin into the shop friday to find the electrical gremlin that's stealing the power from my fuel pump and distributor, so when I get it back I'll check the ECU and order new injectors as well as change the oil, with these little set-backs my MJ'll have all new parts in no time, long as I have the money to keep up with it :rotfl2: