92 Alternator in a 98?

During installation of my brother's "new" motor, he accidentally twisted one of the small connection studs on the alternator off.

I believe I have the alternator from his old 92, which he replaced shortly before the truck was hit and stripped out. Will a 92 4.0 Alternator work in a 98? Or do we need to buy a new one?

AutoZone shows both numbers as the same. DL5511-6

The OEM numbers from the manufacturer will be different for the the different year of manufacture but the component will be the same. The after market numbers will be the same for all parts that will fit .

Besides, Correy has both units. He can put them side by side and compare, unless one is in Mo and the other is in Wi.

Don't get me started on that. After paying $30 more to get a 120 alt over a 90 and 65 amp units I noticed I had 3 of them in the scrap pile. Tore them apart and discovered they were all 3 exactly identical. The wiring ,and sometimes rectifiers, should have been different guages for diff amp ratings. :no:

I went to the stash at home, dug out the 92 ans 91 alternators I had... and they'd been rained on quite a bit and were seized. Luckily we were able to remove the part that had broken and use one of the seized alts to fix his.

23685_364992849059_762289059_3491083_1305699_n.jpg

I have my old 98 XJ alternator (with Kilby pulley) on my 92 MJ.

Please tell me about the Kilby pulley and why you used it. :D

Sorry. I only mentioned the Kilby pulley to kinda explain why I had installed a 98 XJ alternator into a 92 MJ.

I had a York OBA system in my 98 XJ, which used a Kilby bracket and pulley that had an additional groove to drive the York compressor via a v-belt. I saved the alternator when I scrapped the XJ.

After I lifted the MJ, I wanted to install the OBA system into the truck. Instead of installing just the Kilby pulley onto the 92 alternator, I simply swapped out the entre unit because the XJ alternator was only a couple of years old.

There should be a button on the camera that turns on the "macro" (commonly accompanied by a little image of a flower), which essentially means: focus on stuff that's close to the camera. Why they can't just say "close up" is beyond me. :dunno:

My little Canon has one step further called the "magnifying glass" setting and will focus on things right up the the camera lens. :D

Sorry. I only mentioned the Kilby pulley to kinda explain why I had installed a 98 XJ alternator into a 92 MJ.

I had a York OBA system in my 98 XJ, which used a Kilby bracket and pulley that had an additional groove to drive the York compressor via a v-belt. I saved the alternator when I scrapped the XJ.

After I lifted the MJ, I wanted to install the OBA system into the truck. Instead of installing just the Kilby pulley onto the 92 alternator, I simply swapped out the entre unit because the XJ alternator was only a couple of years old.

Okay. I thought you might be using one of their smaller pulleys on the alt to speed it up a bit and get more voltage output at idle. :cheers:

There should be a button on the camera that turns on the "macro" (commonly accompanied by a little image of a flower), which essentially means: focus on stuff that's close to the camera. Why they can't just say "close up" is beyond me. :dunno:

My little Canon has one step further called the "magnifying glass" setting and will focus on things right up the the camera lens. :D

Oh, well, I took this with my phone. I don't own any digital camera beyond our JVC camcorder, which also takes crap pictures.

Man i wanna do this upgrade jest got to go to the local Pick N pull i hope it works

Sorry, this is an HO upgrade only. This alt requires external regulation by the ECU, unlike the Renix. :(

Ok that sucks is there anything i can do for my Truck.